Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pictures Not Taken

Or in other words
I Need a Camera Phone!

Earlier today I drove Jason to the Hillsborough DMV to get his "after 9" driver's license. (North Carolina is one of those brilliant states that awards a graduated drivers license--he's had his for 6 months now, so he graduates to the next one.)

We were driving along a country road when I saw an amazing sight. Both sides of the road were farmland--lined with wooden fences. On one side there was a large rusty red metal gate in the fence that was the same height as the fence. The field beyond the fence was still snow-covered, and the sun was shining brightly enough to almost make everything a silhouette.

Sitting in a row on both the gate and the fence were at least a dozen vultures--just sitting there looking toward the road. There were more vultures on the ground between the fence and the road, and while we were watching a couple flew up to join the others on the fence. It was an amazing sight. All of those huge birds just sitting in the morning sun with the snow covered fields behind them.

The other thing we saw was one of those moments when you thank the Lord it was someone else and not you. At the DMV a older driver had obviously had a mental lapse while pulling into the parking space and had overshot the space, ending up in the ditch between the parking lot and the road. Which was something that everyone in the DMV had to come to the window to look at. Poor guy--I hope he wasn't there to renew his license!

2 comments:

  1. My dad took my brother (in my car) to get his driver's license -- in the days before the graduated one. He was so impressed with himself that when he pulled into the driveway to park next to my dad's truck, he undershot his turn (because he was smiling and waving at all of us standing on the front porch watching) and ran smack into Dad's back bumper. That license wasn't even 15 minutes old. I like to hold this over his head because he is good friends with several of your brothers, and one of the many things he has in common with them is that he prides himself on his driving skills. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh--they are all so scary! I know my brothers think they are invulnerable on the road. Which is why we try to stay out of their cars!

    ReplyDelete