Saturday, January 10, 2009

Life's Perplexing Questions

Russ and I watched a movie from the library the other night, and I forgot to take the dvd out of the tv and put it back in the case before I returned the case to the library. They were nice enough to call me yesterday and ask for their dvd back (so smart that they check these things!) and so I set it on the stack of library books beside the microwave so that Jason would take them to the library on his way to swim practice.

Cindy Lynn called around lunch time. "Mom," she said, "I have a strange question for you. What do you do with a dead cat?"

This was one of those moments when I wonder why my children seem to think that I know everything. I don't mind when they ask me reasonable questions, but when my kids ask me strange questions that I can't possibly know the answer to I have to wonder what they're thinking.

"I have no idea what you should do with a dead cat," I replied. "Why? Do you have one?"

She explained that some residents of the apartment complex that she and Mahon manage had just reported the presence of a Very Dead Cat in the complex parking lot. And she had thought that I might know what they should do with it.

"Well," I said, "You could always put it in the dumpster."

She sounded a bit dubious. "Do you think that's legal? Don't you have to call someone when there's a dead animal?"

Just then Jason decided that it was time to leave for swimming, and came into the kitchen to gather the keys and cell phone. He saw the stack of library books by the microwave and picked those up too. Not noticing (not caring?) that I was on the phone, he called over to me, "Mom, am I supposed to take the dvd to the library too?"

I am a Very Conscientious Library Patron and was concerned about the safety of the now caseless dvd. And so I moved the phone away from my mouth a little and said to Jason, "I think it would be better if you put it in a sandwich baggie."

Apparently not far enough from my mouth, because Cindy Lynn's shriek came loud and clear through the telephone:

"You want me to put a dead cat into a sandwich baggie???"


P.S. In case you're wondering, Animal Control in Rexburg reports that they only need to be called for animals weighing more than 10 pounds. Smaller animals may be disposed of in whatever manner you please. (Good thing it's winter!)

8 comments:

  1. Excuse me... I did not call because I think you know everything. I called because you have had more experience disposing of dead animals than I have!

    Oh and by the way, I told Mahon what you said about how taking out a dead cat is what husbands are for. He was very sweet and cleaned it up and only told me a little bit about how gross it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I laughed out loud! The mental picture of Cindy Lynn trying to shove a dead cat into a sandwich baggie... oh! Too much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! That was really funny! I hate it when my kids think I know everything too. When I tell Nick "I don't know.", He says "Yes you do!" Like as if I am hiding the answer from him. It drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And this is why I love your blog. So entertaining. I hope the DVD got to its rightful place unharmed. I guess I hope the same for the dead cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm shocked that Rexburg has an animal control division in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! I am amazed you juggle all you do...and do it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you've just added to the family chronicles. I wouldn't be surprised if this story gets retold at Thanksgiving dinners decades from now!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy Lynn--I did not mean to imply that you think I know everything. I know you're smarter than that now. At the same time, my experience with dead animals consists of burying a couple of hamsters in the back yard!

    Lindsay--this weekend whenever anyone needed anything we'd say "make sure you get a sandwich baggie!" My 15 year old niece had the best response--"because you never know when you'll see some roadkill!"

    Natalie--yes, that's exactly how it is!

    Amy--I think the dead cat was beyond caring about additional harm. I'm more worried about Mahon, who had to clean it up!

    Sean--you and me both!

    Audrey--I don't really juggle so well. In fact as I get older I multi-task less and less well. It's really a bummer!

    Megan--absolutely!

    ReplyDelete