Sunday, January 11, 2009

Our $100,000 Raise

I've been reading a book called "What Happy Women Know," by the author of a book I loved called "What Happy People Know." The third chapter is titled Wanton Wanting: The Myths and Burdens of Affluence." This chapter explores the reasons that we believe more money will bring us more happiness, and shows why they are not true.

The most interesting part of the chapter told of a research study carried out in 2004 inn the US and England. 50,000 people were interviewed for this study, the purpose of which was to work out the financial value of a good sex life. The authors of the study went on to show that it would take $55,000/year to bring people as much happiness as a regular sex life. And then also calculated that a loving marriage makes people as happy as an extra $100,000 a year.

Now I am just as stressed about the current economic situation as the next person. I am praying that people will keep buying cell phones so that my husband can keep his job. But as I read that my brain shifted from the "worried about money" mindset to the "how incredibly blessed am I" mindset.

Good job + loving marriage = Wealth beyond description!

7 comments:

  1. Are you not brave enough to publish that you have a great sex life? Come on! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, maybe you did! Now I'm embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, funny comments from Amy! Great pic of you and Russ...it is a wonderful blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome...and timely. Some perspective we can all use!

    Hey- could you please teach me how to get those blog update thingies on the side of your blog? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, how can I actually spend the $100k we now have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, Amy. So it was a $155,000 raise. I just didn't want to give too much information! ;)

    ReplyDelete