Thursday, January 29, 2009

Costco Escape

I needed to run some errands this afternoon, so I headed over to pick Josh up from school so that we could have some quality time together while shopping. Unfortunately I had a communication mix-up with his regular car-pool person, and by the time I got to the school she had already picked him up. I was on my own. (I'm sure you know how much that pains me.)

When I got to Costco I was greeted by a row of industrial size massage chairs. I have passed many a pleasant minute sitting in the $200 massage chairs in Bed, Bath, & Beyond; these massage chairs put those to shame. Instantly all thoughts of what I was looking for in Costco fled my mind. All I could think of was how much I wanted to try the $2000 massage chair.

And so I sat. And sat, and sat some more. After a little while the salesperson finished talking to the woman in the chair on the other end and came over to me. "I'm sure you're enjoying that chair," he said, "but this one here will also massage your feet too." So that's what $500 more got you--a foot massage along with the neck, back, and calf massage I was already getting. Sweet. I moved right over.

If I had had an extra $2500 in my pocket I would have bought the thing on the spot. It was that good.

After I felt good and relaxed I decided it was time to get on with the real purpose of my visit to Costco. As I approached the food part of the store I was happy to see that the sample ladies were out in force. Very convenient. First a massage, and now a snack as well.

I had a nice piece of high fiber bread with butter, some yummy mango salsa, bbq pork, thin crust pizza, and a meatball. And then I had a piece of cheese. Not your garden variety chedder cheese, no. This was obviously a fancy imported piece of cheese. As I picked up the sample I asked the lady "Is this cheese really strong?" In my present relaxed state I didn't want to shock my system with a really smelly piece of cheese. She immediately launched into a discourse about this imported cheese, showing me the package of cheese with it's purple coating made of mumblemumble that soaked into the cheese as it aged, giving it the flavor of the wine. All of a sudden my brain kicked into gear. Did she just say that this cheese was soaked in wine? The cheese I was already eating? "Excuse me," I said carefully around my mouthful of cheese, "Did you say there is wine in the cheese?" I could tell she was pretty excited at my interest, and she explained some more about the wine-filled purple coating. She probably thought she'd made a sale...instead I dropped the rest of my piece of cheese in the next trash can. Too bad--it was yummy. But better safe than sorry!

9 comments:

  1. When I was under the age of five, and flying across the country to my new home in Alaska, I remember thinking that the cheese on the flight was really wierd, and not so yummy. It was the plastic-shrink-wrapped kind, but I didn't know the outside was plastic. I remember the stranger sitting next to me letting me know that you don't eat that part, but what did I know? I know, not word of wisdom related, but totally cheese related ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny Kathleen! I did not know about those chairs- I'm headed to Costco today so I'll have to try them out! I thought for sure you were going to say that you fell asleep in the chair and they woke you up at closing. Have you ever actually bought something because of the sample? I did once and regretted it. ONce the sample magic is gone it never tastes as good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've bought the salsas and really like them. Or rather, Russ the salsa man likes them.

    BUT. Once they were sampling these fat free potato chip look alike things. Fortunately for us you got 3-4 in your little sample cup. Because the first one tasted pretty good. And the second one tasted just a little off. But by the time you got to the third one, it was like eating paper. (Not that i've eaten a lot of paper...) They were so bad. One day we were at the Veaches and Sherry had a box of the faux potato chips. She'd bought them because her diet-fanatic sister loves them. And none of her kids would eat them. I wasn't going to accept the box, but my poor treat-deprived kids assured me that they would eat them, so I brought the box home. Of course all it took was three chips per child and that box was out in the garbage. I actually persuaded a woman at Costco not to buy them last week. I had walked down the aisle to get some tortilla chips and when I walked down she was looking at the faux potato chips, when I walked back up she was still looking. So I figured I'd be so nice and clue her in to their true nastiness. She looked relieved to have made such a narrow escape.

    Kathleen--yuck! And hard to chew and digest as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is dangerous to drive while relaxed and intoxicated. I'm glad you made it home safely. I never have experiences like that, but then again I rarely get to go to Costco by myself. In fact, my kids would be the ones in the chairs and they love cheese. Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy, I love the idea of a mini vacation in costco. Think they will do our toes on girl's night out while we are sitting in those comfy chairs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I would say that just like the alcolol "bakes" out, it also "ages out" shoulda eaten the rest of the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andra, you're right. I should have eaten the rest of the cheese! But I think we would fight each other over who got the chair that did feet, so it might be dangerous. Or we would cooperate and take turns trading chairs and then the salesman would get scared and run us off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remember the fancy high brow establishment Food 4 Less in Provo? I got food poisoning more than once from "samples" they passed out while we were shopping. I have a rule that I never eat samples, no matter how good they look! You never know how their food handling safety skills were before the food got to you! Not going to learn THAT lesson again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Momster--maybe that's why my sister told me that Food4Less closed!?!

    I have to say we love samples. But I always do have my fingers crossed that we don't get poisoned...

    ReplyDelete