Monday, January 19, 2009

Cemetery Sights

There something about a small country cemetery that you just have to love. I happen to love this one especially because it is where many of my "people" are buried. I am also attached to it because the land it is on originally belonged to my grandma's grandpa. For many years the family legend was that he had donated this land to the church, and that the church building built on it was the first LDS chapel in SC. Recently my family history uncle found a deed showing that instead my great-great-grandpa sold one acre to the church for $50. The deed was even signed by Joseph F. Smith.

Here are some of the things that caught my eye when I was there for my grandma's burial last week.

I didn't know that my family now had our "own" bench--that was pretty cool. Although much too cold to actually sit on it right now! (And no, I didn't take the littles to the funeral with me--this was from Tuesday. When they told me anxiously that they wanted to go to the cemetery and see where Grandma-Great was buried, and my heart was full at the thought of the family history moment in the making, and when they just ran around the cemetery collecting dropped flowers instead of listening me tell them about who was buried where...Oh well, they are only 8!)

You'd think that a gravestone that includes the epitaph "Gone but not forgotten" would, perhaps, also include a name???

Obviously a little Mormon boy...

I mentioned this marker to my aunt because I was impressed by the lovely pictures and also by the boldness of someone putting "no comment" on a headstone. My aunt said (and I do so wish you could hear her say this yourself in her beautiful southern voice) "Oh Honey, that man was as mean a human being as ever lived!" And then she also told me that he was married to my great grandmother for a time after my great grandfather died. Until she found him cheating on her...

This is obviously a relatively new marker, and there's no more information. Of course I can't help wondering. Did Ollie and Pearl have quads? Or did they have 4 single babies who died? Either way, so poignant...

No comments:

Post a Comment