Monday, January 19, 2009

Bosch Experiment #1

This morning I noticed that we had eaten the last of the homemade bread. I resolved that I would try InkMom's mom's suggestion for solving the original Bosch problem--the dough going down into the shaft of the bowl. And so I searched for the duct tape, and had several small children search for the duct tape, and eventually Jared found the duct tape. I placed two small strips across the openings at the top of the bowl.

After further consideration I put an optional part on top of the duct tape. This is a little gizmo that you're supposed to use if you're making a smaller batch--it somehow helps the smaller batch knead better. I hoped that it would hold the duct tape in place.

My experiment was somewhat successful. There was much less dough in the shaft of the bowl and underneath the bowl than the last time I made a full batch of bread. The duct tape did not fare very well, though. I had not counted on the friction created by the little gizmo turning against the duct tape, and one piece was pretty much shredded. Since I am really clueless about the toxicity of duct tape, I was happy that most of the duct tape shreds were confined to the area between the gizmo and the bowl and I threw that dough away. I think that next time I will try without the gizmo and use bigger pieces of duct tape that attach further down in the bowl.

I realized after the bread was baked that I had put far too much bread in the pans. Oops. It's delicious, but not as pretty as I like it to be.

I also realized that there's a mouse in my kitchen. Somehow that's not a surprise...

4 comments:

  1. Oh well - my bread totally failed today. For some reason, your bread recipe has a very hard time rising in my apartment! So I'm going to try again in a few days and see if I can play around with a few things and make it work.

    (Part of the problem I think is that we're not using home-ground wheat flour, and so it's much coarser than the stuff we grind at home - I've noticed that in any recipe, this flour has a much harder time raising properly than white flour or finer wheat flour. Last time I made bread I did some white with my wheat, and I think I'll have to go back to doing that, because this was really funky.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a problem for Keith! What do you use to grind your flour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care if you think it is misshapen. It looks so delicious! I want to eat it. Funny, this goes along with another blog I know. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie--I have a wheat grinder that is a K-Tec. It grinds the flour really fine--I would actually like it if we could have a little more coarseness!

    Cindy Lynn--I'm not certain that your kitchen aid has a powerful enough motor to make whole wheat bread, though I could be wrong. You could ask Sean--I think he has been making bread and they have a kitchen aid. Of course he might not remember anything right now!

    Marg--what blog??

    ReplyDelete