Thursday, March 17, 2011

I Feel SO Validated!

 

You may remember that in January our family went to see the Lion King.  At the time I was so moved by the scene where Simba’s father appeared to remind Simba of who he was.  But I also wondered if I was thinking too hard about things, feeling such rich symbolism from a child’s story.

I’ve been listening a lot to Sheri Dew over the past few weeks.  Deseret Book recently had a sale on a collections of her talks/books on cd, and it seemed like a good way to work on New Year's Resolution #25, which was having things to listen to in the car so that my driving time is edifying.  I’ve listened to 2 1/2 talks so far (these are long talks, and I’ve ended up listening 2-3 times to each one) and guess what?  In the first two talks (Famous Last Words & This is a Test) she talks about the same scene in the Lion King.  The SAME scene.  BOTH talks.

I feel so validated.

 

It really is profound. 

 

Speaking of profound symbolism…Jared and I were going to go see Harry Potter yesterday afternoon, but when they got there that theater was having problems and it wasn’t showing.  We decided to go see Voyage of the Dawn Treader instead.  Can I just tell you that I love CS Lewis?  Like really, really love him.  I thought the end of the movie was so beautiful:

 

Aslan: In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.

 

It made me cry…

2 comments:

  1. Let me tell you--I was drawing spiritual parallels from Tangled left and right! The best part is, the third time I went to see it I went with a bunch of BYU students, and they were doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel vindicated too, because I've always loved that scene! And Voyage of the Dawntreader is my favorite one- I still need to see the movie though....

    ReplyDelete