Friday, January 14, 2011

The Lion King

January 2011 135 (with Connor, our extra son)

 

Last night we had the opportunity to go and see the broadway play of The Lion King.  In a word, it was AMAZING.  I had seen it about 6 years ago with Jason, and it was just as wonderful as I remembered.  Here’s a little sneak peak from their youtube channel if you want to see the costumes.  (The gazelles were my favorite.)

 

 

The music was all so much more beautiful than I remembered.  (I can forget a lot in 6 years!)  There were the songs that we know from the animated movie, but also many more songs written for the stage play.  The rich African harmonies were so powerful.

 

The part that I most appreciated last night was the gospel application.  I know that the Lion King is based on Hamlet, but I’ve only ever seen the movie once or twice so I haven’t spent much time thinking about it.  I hadn’t realized before last night that it is also very much a story of a prodigal son.  I thought the scene where the now adult Simba sees the ghost of his father, Mustafa, was so powerful.

Mufasa's ghost: [apears among the stars] Simba, you have forgotten me.
Adult Simba: No. How could I?
Mufasa's ghost: You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me. Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the Circle of Life.
Adult Simba: How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be.
Mufasa's ghost: Remember who you are. You are my son, and the one true king.

It made me wonder how often our Heavenly Father would say the same things to us. 

“You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me.”

“Remember who you are.”

I can’t describe how powerful it was, but it was beautiful and it brought tears to my eyes. 

 

What a great evening!

2 comments:

  1. So jealous!!! Wish I could have stayed. :(

    When I was in Kory Kunz's Book of Mormon class, he showed us a clip from the Lion King one day and had us draw TONS of spiritual parallels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I'm glad it was great, sad I didn't get to see it again.

    ReplyDelete