Sunday, January 30, 2011

New Year’s Resolution # 17

Go to Bed!!!

I envy people who can get by with just a few hours of sleep.  Real true serious envy.  Because in my life, everything is dictated by sleep.  How much I’ve had, how much I’m going to need, and how well I am (or am not) functioning because of it.

I’ve known for a long time now that one of the great ironies of my life is that the quality of my day is greatly determined by what time I go to bed the night before.  If I stay up late (and don’t all parents want to stay up late, savoring that “alone time”?!?!?) then I pay for it the next day when I’m dragging, unmotivated, listless, short-tempered, and desperate for a nap.  If I get plenty of rest the night before then it seems the sky is the limit the next day.  I enjoy my kids, want to spend time with them, read to them, play games, cook good food, etc. 

 

Sleep makes all the difference in the world to me.

 

For the last couple of years I’ve thought again at the beginning of the year that I really should make a resolution to go to bed earlier.  But I’ve always been reluctant to voice it, and even if I’ve tentatively resolved in my heart the resolution has been quickly broken and abandoned.

 

This year I have a different plan.

 

1) Since Russ has to drive Josh to seminary again this year, he is getting up at 4:55 AM.  Yes you read that right—we live so far away from the church that he has to get up before 5AM every school day.  And he may need less sleep than I do, but not that much less.  So Russ definitely needs to go to bed earlier.  And I really prefer going to bed at the same time that Russ does.  I love to snuggle up with him and talk for a while before we go to our own sides of the bed to go to sleep.  That snuggling is often the best reconnection we get during the day—we don’t see each other in the morning (hello, did you think I was capable of getting up at the crack of dawn?!?) and when he gets home the kids are all clamoring for his attention.  Sometimes we watch a tv show together in the evening, but that’s still not the kind of quality time I really crave. 

2)  I’ve realized that it takes me approximately 49.8 times longer to get ready for bed than it does Russ.  Which means it takes him 30 seconds (brush teeth, get pjs) and it takes me 20 minutes.  (Clean off counters, put away 3 things left on stairs, Brush, floss, start a load of laundry, remove eye makeup, wash face, put away 7 random things that have landed on the bathroom counter, squirt salt water up nose, blow nose repeatedly, fold basket of laundry, put on pjs, straighten books, etc.)  Now the reason that this is a problem is that during the 20 minutes that I am getting ready for bed, while Russ is already in bed, there is a complete and total possibility that he will have fallen soundly asleep.  (By virtue of the fact that it only takes him 30 seconds to fall asleep, which means in essence that 1 minute after starting to get ready for bed the man is asleep.  I kid you not.) 

3) Both of these facts bring me to my plan to accomplish my resolution.   And that is this: Be ready for bed at 9pm.  If we watch a tv show from 8-9, I can get ready for bed during the commercials.  If Russ is ready to go to sleep right at 9 then great, so am I.  If I get ready for bed and he’s not quite ready to go to sleep then I can either hang out with him or find something else to do for a while.  (Heaven knows I can always find something to do, even in my pjs.)  My hope is that thinking about going to bed earlier will mean I get more sleep, Russ gets more sleep,  we get more time together, and my days go better.  How’s that for a lofty goal?

4) Now I know from past experience that my tendency would be to abandon a goal that doesn’t seem to be working just as I had intended.  But fortunately for me (and poor tired Russ) this year I’ve read a couple of books that address this issue.  One of them, titled “This Year I Will…” says that we must expect that as we work towards our goals there will be times we do not succeed—that is a normal part of the change process.  And instead of throwing up our hands in defeat and giving up on that goal, we need to be prepared for these failures.  So this month I’ve been paying attention to how & when I get ready for and go to bed.  And on the few occasions that I’ve not managed to go to bed with Russ and have stayed up way too late, I’ve calmly analyzed my night and figured out where I went wrong, and what I need to remember the next day.  No sense of failure, no need to give up!

 

 

PS—I totally recommend that book to anyone interested in information on how to be successful in making changes in your life.  It’s called “This Year I Will” and it’s by MJ Ryan. It’s so good I’m actually going to buy it.  Which is saying a lot because I rarely buy books.  (I also recommend her book “The Happiness Makeover.”  Which I also bought.)

3 comments:

  1. I have been working on this too - my problem is that when I am on TOBI, Mahon gets home at 5:30 and I have to start therapy at 7:30 if we want to be in bed (lights out, ready to sleep) by 10:15. I really struggle with that because I feel like our whole evening is taken up by dinner and then therapy. But this month I've changed my pattern of thinking - instead of saying "we need to be in bed by 10:15" I will say "we need to be in bed by 9:30". What that means is that some nights we actually are going to sleep at 9:30, which is AWESOME, and on other nights we still have time to talk/read scriptures/etc. and still be asleep by 10:15. And luckily I just finished TOBI for awhile so I don't have to start therapy till 8:15!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book on my nightstand as I type this (based on Cindy Lynn's recommendation). I am about 1/3 of the way through it, and I need to get back to it. Sounds like a great goal to me.

    Bryan has started a new routine for us which I am loving: every night at 9pm we put D to bed and then pause whatever else we may have been doing, so we can talk, read scriptures, and spend time together for at least 30 minutes. It usually turns into much longer, and it has been FABULOUS! We talk about our day, our memories, the children, just whatever is on our minds. Such a great bonding time and best of all for us right now it doesn't cost us a penny. ;) Then we can go back to whatever we need/want to be doing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We share the problem of a husband who gets ready way faster and falls asleep way faster. And needs less sleep overall, which really makes it hard to coordinate. For me, it all hinges on having my kids in bed by 8. I HAVE to unwind before I go to sleep, so if they're up till 9, I'm up till at least 10:30. Good luck and I'll have to grab both those books when I finally get around to getting a library card!

    ReplyDelete