Sunday, January 16, 2011

Just Do It

I have a great denim skirt.  It’s great because it’s long, because it’s made of stretch denim and so it fits regardless of where my weight is.  It’s low maintenance, travels easily, and rarely needs ironing.  I have loved it.

January 2011 176

But my skirt has had one problem.  The slit, though modest while I was standing, extended past my comfort level when I sat down.  (And isn’t that what church is—sitting down again and again?)  Perhaps if I had model-beautiful knees I wouldn’t have been so self conscious, but as it was each time I sat I had to pull my skirt down and arrange things carefully so that my neighbor wasn’t getting an eyeful of my knobby white knees.  It was so annoying.

When I first wore the skirt I decided that I should fix that overly long slit.  But I just wasn’t sure how it would turn out.  Did I have any thread the right color?  Would it hang right?  Would the stitching rip out?  I wasn’t sure I could make it look ok, and so I didn’t do it.

I just kept wearing the skirt, and pulling it down over my knees.

 

And then one day a couple of months ago I just grabbed the skirt, and walked over to the sewing machine, loaded some blue thread, and sewed. 

 

Do you know what?  It is great.  My wonderful skirt is even more wonderful now that I do not have to worry that I’m flashing my fleshy knees at everyone.  The blue thread doesn’t even show at all.  And nothing is ripping.

All this time I have worn the skirt and wished it was different, yet never actually tried to fix the problem.  Just fretted about it in my mind.

 

So today I’m saying: Just Do It.  Whatever that thing is that has been worrying you, that you’re not quite sure about—just do it.  So what if it doesn’t look perfect.  Give it your best shot, and chances are it will be better than having your knees showing all the time!

January 2011 173

In Stephen Covey’s book, “The Divine Center,” he says that the tension that we experience when we put off doing something we know we should do usually causes us much more stress than the task itself. 

My 3 minute fix at the sewing machine was a definite testimony of that!

2 comments:

  1. I love this- and have found it to be so true in my own life. For me, it's things about the house- hanging pictures, for ex. A few weeks ago I just got the hammer and some nails, dispensed with any measuring or planning and just eyeballed. I love the way everything turned out, even though in a few cases, I had to re-nail. It's one tiny hole in the wall right? Who cares! Except maybe our landlady, but I think she'll live:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too...action usually helps somehow! :) And, comfort at church is a must!

    ReplyDelete