Monday, March 7, 2011

Got Dirt?

 

Last week I orded 6 (6!!!) cubic yards of topsoil mixed with compost.  I was so excited when it arrived!

February 2011 483

As soon as the truck pulled away I couldn’t resist grabbing the shovel & wheelbarrow.  I had a brand new raised bed (made by the awesome Russ) waiting for some dirt and I couldn’t wait!  I have never moved dirt before, so this was a big deal for me.  I quickly learned that I was much better off when I didn’t fill the wheelbarrow too full, because then it just ran away with me.

February 2011 522

I couldn’t stop, even when my arms and back got tired from the exercise.

 

February 2011 523

As you can see, there is a tree in my garden bed.  I was going to cut it down (we really have so few places that get enough sun that we really have to use what we can) but then I decided that we’ll try an experiment.  I’ve planted some lettuce & spinach under it and we’ll see if they will grow.

 

February 2011 524

I am so ready for spring!

3 comments:

  1. I just can't even tell you how jealous I am that you can plant stuff already!!! We are just barely starting to see the edges of grass here and there... in most places we've still got at least 1.5 feet of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have believed that words like "raised beds" and "compost could make me so excited!!!
    Bob just found out that he can bring home an entire semi-load of unscreened compost for freeeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, having such garden prep envy. Maybe I will need that garden as a getaway from these twins once they come. Who knows. Oh, and you look super skinny in your pics, just so you know!

    ReplyDelete