Friday, March 11, 2011

Just Par for my Week

I have had a hard week.  First one thing and then another, a heaping spoonful of fatigue sprinkled on top, all sitting on a foundation of pms.  Lovely.

Yesterday fit in just perfectly.

Several weeks ago I scheduled a doctor's appointment for yesterday, my search to find a new doctor taking until the last possible moment before my thyroid prescription ran out.  Then last week when I was getting my teeth cleaned (I can't believe it's been 6 months since I got my teeth cleaned--I've spent way too much time at the dentist's in the last year!) the dentist said that one of the problems I was having was happening because I need some old fillings replaced.  Sure, I said, let's do it.  And I made the appointment for yesterday morning.  There was plenty of time between the two appointments.

At least that was what I thought.

Instead, the dentist was overly busy, chatted overly long (because he was so excited to hear that we're spending a weekend at Zions & Bryce Canyon this summer), and had more problems with my fillings than he expected.

I'd thought I would finish at the dentist and have an hour to shop at Costco before heading to the doctor.  Not so.  I walked out of the dentist's office with just enough time to drive over to the doctor's office.

[A side rant here.  Although this was a new doctor's office, both they and I are in the Duke healthcare system.  The receptionist verified my name, date of birth, mailing address, phone number, email address, and several other pieces of personal information.  And then she handed me two pieces of paper and asked me to write all of those things down again on both!  Ugh!   I totally refused.]

Fast forward to me meeting my new doctor, 3/4 of my face and my tongue still entirely asleep and feeling twice their normal size.  I quickly introduced myself and explained that I had just come from having a lengthy dental procedure.

Just in case you can't quite figure out what I looked and sounded like, you can get a pretty good impression from Bill Cosby at about 2:15 into his dentist routine.

Isn't that's awesome?  Just try giving your health history to a new doctor sounding like that.  I'm hoping that she will believe I'm reasonably educated on thyroid issues in general and my thyroid issues in particular.  I'm hoping that because of that she'll be willing to try things my way.  But after yesterday--I'm just not so sure!

That's the last time I schedule the dentist before anything other than a long nap!


PS--there was one really great point in the day.  Getting on the doctor's scale in all of my clothes, later in the day, not fasting, and being absolutely unconcerned about my weight!!!  It was pretty sweet...

2 comments:

  1. I am not going to tell you how long it's been since I've had a cleaning....this always happens to me- I go years without giving it a moment's though, and then, when I'm pregnant and can't get them cleaned I think about it all the time!

    So what happened when you refused to fill out the form? That always irks me too, but I've never had the guts to refuse. The sky didn't fall??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain with dr visits. Had one myself this week in which I was giving a check in time 15 minutes prior to my scheduled appointment time and then sat there 20 minutes passed my appt. time. When walked back, it appeared I was the only person in the office and the dr was sitting in the first room I passed reviewing charts. What the ????

    Why don't I just show up 20 minutes late and go right on in and get it over with rather than giving you my entire afternoon?

    ReplyDelete