Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Holy Flammable Christmas Tree, Batman!

You know how you always hear about how dangerous Christmas trees are, yada, yada, yada? 

Last week we told the kids that if they would pick up sticks that were down all over the yard from the windstorm that we would have a fire.  I thought we could roast marshmallows, but I forgot to get them.  So I found some marshmallow creme and chocolate chips and made fake s’mores. 

When I got outside Russ had the fire going.

February 2011 416

He had put our Christmas tree back by the fire pit after Christmas,  and the kids were ripping off branches and putting them into the fire.  I was astounded--I seriously couldn’t get over what happened to the little fire when they put in the dry Christmas tree branches. 

The fire went from this

February 2011 419

to this

February 2011 421

in about 10 seconds!

 

It was very exciting, but I’d really hate for it to happen in my house!  I think I will take those warnings more seriously from now on…

February 2011 446

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooo, I love the last picture! Remind me to tell you about the time we burned a Christmas tree on the beach. Apparently all those Christmas trees lining the properties are NOT for public taking, and Eric and Paul just about had their faces punched in. Oops. :)

    ReplyDelete