Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Book Review: Something for the Pain

One of the books selected for our ward book group this year is a book called "Something For the Pain," by an emergency room physician here in Durham. The book happened to be available when I was looking for something to take to the beach to read last week, so I brought it in case I finished Catching Fire. (Like I could make Catching Fire last that long!)

I found this book really interesting. The author's two objectives are to explore whether it's possible to be an ER doc without losing your compassion, and how to have a high stress job like this without it affecting your family negatively. It was fascinating to watch him deal with these issues over time, and to see the solutions that he found. The stories that he tells along the way are always interesting.

We have a number of men in our ward who are medical residents at Duke. After watching them & their families for the last couple of years, and now after reading this book, my hat is off to anyone who becomes a doctor. I am amazed at the number of hours that they put in and at the sacrifices they and their families make. I think this should be an interesting discussion for our book group!

No comments:

Post a Comment