Monday, October 5, 2009

The Bane of My Existence

I know what you're thinking, really I do. You looked at the title and then at the picture of the clothes above and you're thinking "The bane of her existence is a pile of clothes on her floor? She must not have a very hard existence!"

Bear with me and let me explain myself.

The seasonal clothing change is enough to undo me. Every year, twice a year.

Because twice every year I have to go through every child's clothes, take out those which are too small or no longer seasonally appropriate, and make sure there are enough clothes for the coming season. This might not be such a problem if I had only 1 child. Or if my children's clothes were always sitting neatly folded in their drawers. But no. I have 6 children. (Although I am happy to report that 3 of them are completely or mostly on their own as far as clothes go. This is real progress!) And for some reason most of the clothes in our house live in the dirty clothes baskets.

All of this means that the whole process ends up taking days and days and days. Days of huge piles of clothes living in the hallway or laundry room or (horror of all horrors) somewhere in my bedroom.

So this year I resolved that it would be different. I would attack the task with more vigor. I would be less distracted, more organized. Any piles would be neatly folded instead of piled in messy heaps. And I would finish in just one day.

I guess 3 out of 4 isn't too bad...


P.S. My other complaint about the seasonal clothing change: When I put my winter clothes away for the long summers' sleep, I wash everything carefully, fold it, and put it in a rubbermaid bin that I'm sure was made for the purpose of housing winter pj's during the summer.

For good measure I also take a dryer sheet (the yummy smelling dryer sheet that I use only for my laundry, not the cheap not-quite-as-good Costco dryer sheet used for everyone else's laundry) and put it in with my clothes. My fantasy is that in the fall when I start to be chilled at night and pull out the warm pajamas, they will smell faintly of lavender and vanilla.

Hah.

Instead, every year I pull them out and sniff and they smell horrid. The dryer sheet still smells nice, but the clothes themselves must be taken straight to the laundry room.

Doesn't it seem ridiculous that I wash them when I'm done wearing them and then I have to wash them before I can wear them again?


P.P.S. In case you are beginning to suspect that I have some laundry issues, yes, I do. My front loading washer sours laundry about 9000 times faster than my good old top loader did. (I guess it's a tradeoff between conserving water and having sour smelling laundry.) I usually catch the sour loads and run them again with lots of vinegar to get rid of the smell, but from time to time Jason will switch a load from the washer to the drier, and he doesn't smell it first. I have been known to return all of my folded & put away underclothes to the washer to be rewashed to get rid of the sour smell. I just can't bear to have anything that smells that bad near my face.

P.P.P.S. In case you're wondering, I have no similar need to make sure my kids clothes don't smell bad. They're pretty much on their own there. One neurotic nose is all I can deal with...

4 comments:

  1. I hear you! I meant to switch my clothes out during conference, but it didn't get done (it was pretty low on the priority list). It has got to get done this week though. Last week it dropped into the 40s and today it snowed! All week I've been bypassing all my spring clothes and just digging through my winter clothes bin to find something to wear!

    I have to say - I actually don't think my clothes smell bad when I pull them out of the bin. I'll have to check the ones at the bottom..... but I've been wearing turtlenecks straight out of the bin all week (turtlenecks=very close to my face!) and they just smelled like sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly my least favorite chore - except for having 2 times a year sorting, we end up with 4 times a year that look like this:
    1 - school time - does everyone have enough tops/bottoms that fit, and will last them a week to a week and a half
    2 - what in the world are you wearing shorts for? It is 30 degrees outside!!! Oh, they were in your drawer.....
    3 - Yes, it has warmed up above 55 degrees, and when it gets to 65, I will surely dig out some shorts that you may wear to school
    and finally....
    4 - did you not realize that it is 85 degrees in this house - what were you thinking when you put on that sweatshirt?????

    Perhaps we could hire someone for this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andra, I'm still laughing. You've definitely described it worse!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought by just looking at the title and the picture that the bane was going to be a constant supply of laundry waiting to be washed, dried, folded (which is tedious enough), but add to it the seasonal changes of wardrobe, and I see why you've pegged it your bane!

    Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that most of the boxes & piles in our little house have to do with clothing either waiting to be washed, waiting to be grown into, or recently outgrown & waiting to be stored. =)

    ReplyDelete