Friday, October 30, 2009

Book Review: Home to Holly Springs


At the library a few weeks ago I saw this book on the shelf and picked it up. I don't keep track of new novels, so I don't really know where Jan Karon has been lately with her Mitford novels. I was in the mood to read though, so I checked it out and took it home with me. By the time it made it up to the top of my stack, I was no longer in the mood to read it. (To be fair, "Catching Fire" is a hard act to follow!)

But then I had to find something to read while waiting at the dentists office and so I picked it up and gave it a try.

It took a few minutes to get into, but very soon I was remembering just what it is I love about the Mitford books. I love the people. I love the people who are so real you think that might have even met them before. I love the people who are so real that you begin to care about their stories — not just out of curiosity, but because you genuinely care about what happens to them.

I thoroughly & completely enjoyed traveling with Father Tim back to his home town. The stories from his early life added to what we already know of his personality, and the resolutions were very satisfying. There were several surprises that I never would have expected and Karon wrapped everything up neatly.

Another of my favorite things about the Father Tim novels is the theology. Karon sprinkles quotes from theologians and philosophers throughout her book, and they are always very thought provoking.

My favorite quote from this book, though, is from a conversation between 5 year old Father Tim and his preacher.
Preacher: Can you fill us in on the concept of prayer? What is that all about, anyway?

Young Tim: Prayer is getting into relationship with God.

Preacher: Isn't it about asking for things we want, and let God know what's what?

Tim:No, sir. He already knows what we want and what we need. Prayer is about getting to know him, and worshiping him and trusting him, and thanking him.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful description of what prayer should be!

    We read a Mitford Christmas book for book club, but since I'd never read one before, and since it was in the middle of the series, it took me a while to figure out who was who. Especially since it seemed that Karon started every new section with a pronoun and it wasn't until halfway through the new person's section that you got a reference to who it actually was.

    Maybe I'd better start with the beginning book and try the series again. =)

    ReplyDelete