Friday, October 23, 2009

Book Review: The Giver

I am fascinated by dystopian novels; novels which present someone's idea a perfect society, and then show just how and why that idea won't work. I think that no one has written a better dystopian novel than Lois Lowry in The Giver.

What is particularly chilling about Lowry's novel is that her society really does seem utopian at first. Everyone is polite. No one wants anyone else to feel uncomfortable. Jobs are carefully matched to individuals after years of observation, and marriages are arranged in the same careful way. Everything is neat and orderly. (Thanks Katie for pointing this out!)

And what's not to like about that?

Gradually, even as Lowry seduces you with her pleasant community, she begins to insert vague suspicions that everything is not as wonderful as it seems on the surface. Beginning with a discussion of the good things that might be lost as a side effect of inconvenient things being eliminated, and culminating in the observation of a matter-of-fact use of euthanasia, the weaknesses and hidden secrets of the society are revealed.

In the end we see that without choice and opposition, life would lose the depth, meaning, connection, and joy we experience now.

---------

PS--One of my other favorite dystopian novels is called The Alliance and is an early book by Gerald Lund. If anyone is interested in reading it, just let me know. (And no, it's not nearly as long as the Work & the Glory books!)

PPS--Last night at book club we looked to see what year The Giver was published. It was in 1993, in case you're wondering. Most of the women in our book club were still in kindergarten then. I myself was married with two children by that point. But no, I didn't feel old or anything...

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't in kindergarten, I was a Junior in High School, that should make you feel better;) I really liked the discussion about the book because it made me "get it" more. There was more to the book than I thought at first, so that's good. I still feel like she could have done so much more with it, but maybe I'm just used to reading ginormous books these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy, I do feel better. Because I thought you told me you were in junior high. High school is much, much better. Helps me forget the fact that it had been 5 years since I graduated from BYU at that point...

    As far as the length of the book goes, Lois Lowry isn't a long book writer. All of her books are about that length. I think it's impressive that she's able to so completely and thoroughly develop this idea in such a short amount of time. though I do enjoy the ginormous books too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was married, but no kids yet. This is a great book. I read it with Megan in her 4th grade book club. Lois Lowry actually has 2 or 3 other companion books to it--kind of like sequels, but not really.

    ReplyDelete