Saturday, October 3, 2009

Experiments in Food Storage

Our stake is lucky to be included in a massive order from Walton Feed twice a year. Last year I ordered a bunch of basics for our food storage. This year I ordered more wheat (you always need more wheat, don't you?) but decided that I was going to order some products that I was curious about and see how I liked them.

The only problem is that I placed the order about 6 months ago, and now that the stuff is here I can't remember what I was going to do with some of it!

Here's what I got:

I also got a #10 can of baking powder, which seemed like a good idea at the time. We go through a lot of baking powder (lots of pancakes in our house) and I'm always annoyed at how often I have to buy those tiny little cans. But can we really use 80 ounces within 6 months of opening the can? I guess we will see.

If you're wondering what some of these things look like, here are pics with the cans opened. As you can tell the oat groats can was reluctant to be parted from it's lid. Completely unwilling, in fact, even when pliers were used. The oat groats now reside in an old can and that uncooperative can has been sent to recycle heaven. (Now if only Katie would get back from France soon to tell me what I should do with oat groats!

dehydrated refried beans, clear jel (a thickener for hot foods), 9 grain cracked cereal


7 grain blend, oat groats, 6 grain rolled cereal

4 comments:

  1. If you have a wheat grinder/flaker, you can make old fashioned oatmeal with oat groats. We have some and it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So your baking powder will last a lot longer than 6 months. If you are super worried you can get an airtight container for it. But we are still using baking powder from a while ago (can't remember how long, but seems like before we moved here), and it still works great. No one has died from it either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! Funny. I think you should grind up the 7 grain mix and make bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made some great granola with my 7 grain stuff.. :)I agree with Amy, put part of your baking soda in something else...with an ox. absorber.

    ReplyDelete