Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sights of Conference Weekend

Like faithful Latter Day Saint families around the world, our family spent the weekend watching the leaders of our church speak to us. Thanks to the magic of the internet we are now able to watch all general sessions in our home, which was not the case when we first moved to NC. We are ever aware of and grateful for that blessing.

Every year we try to make sure we have several quiet activities available so that the little kids are able to have something to do while they listen. I love the activity packets that are always available on the internet. Jenna loves all of the pages and puzzles, Jared does some of them, but Rachel is fairly uninterested. The bingo game using starburst candies as markers did keep all of them busy for quite a while yesterday afternoon.

Sometimes I wonder if the general authorities have any idea that children everywhere are coloring pictures of their ties?

After interest in the packets waned we brought in Legos

Add ImageAnd puzzles.

We were so lucky to have our favorite cousin Kate spend the weekend with us. She and Jason stayed up far into the night playing games and eating cookie dough, but still woke up in time to watch conference.

As is tradition, I slept through the first hour of the Sunday afternoon session, and then came downstairs to start a new puzzle (500 pieces!) with the girls.

We finished off our evening with a meal of southwest eggrolls prepared by our favorite chef.

What a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Cindy - I am SO sad you missed the first hour of Sunday afternoon conference... Elder Holland gave the most powerful delivery of testimony I have ever heard in my entire life in the church. Don't just read it when it comes out in the Ensign, listen to it on the Internet. It is amazing!!! And by the way - I continue to love and be nourished by your blog, and I MISS you - I really do!!! Sending love from Chile - our mission site at the Santiago Temple (YAY for a new temple in Chile), besos, Betty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty--HELLO! Or perhaps HOLA! don't worry, I plan to watch Elder Holland's talk the very moment it's available. He is one of my top 2, and I was so sad to have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...love those crazy eggrolls! Love Chef Russ..~! Betty is right...what a talk Elder Holland gave...very unusual for general conference. Powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to play with Legos during Conf when we were little until my mom decided they were too loud when we sifted through to find the next piece. =)

    Love the cutting mat as a puzzle board! I've never thought of that & it's perfect -- I bought a foamcore posterboard for puzzles but your idea has now doubled my number of puzzleboards. =)

    I had to laugh at your speculation on the Apostle's ties. Too true! My nieces & nephews worked on that same packet.

    ReplyDelete