Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I ♥ Cameron Dokey

A couple of weeks ago while we were at Alisyn’s I borrowed a few of her daughter’s books. I saw them there on the shelves and thought that I needed a good, sweet read. (Little did I know!) Then I checked some more out from the library. Since that day I’ve read about 5 of these books and I have to tell you…

I love Cameron Dokey.

I’m not sure what Cameron Dokey used to write, in her other life. It looks like there’s a Buffy the Vampire Slayer book and some teen romances. Whatever. But what she writes now?!? Sigh…Fairy Tale Perfection.

Cameron Dokey writes for a series of books called “Once Upon a Time.” Each book is a retelling of a classic fairy tale, usually between 175 and 200 pages. There are several other authors who contribute to the series, and their books have been ok. But Cameron? Her books are rich, sweet, and filled with wisdom of the heart.

I even marked some quotes for you so you’d know how good these are. From the book “Winter’s Child,” a retelling of the Snow Queen:

“No,” my father answered simply. “Nothing stays the same, Deirdre. That, too, is part of life. Sometimes, pushing against change only makes it push back twice as hard. But even the most bitter fruit may contain something sweet at its core. A taste you would never have encountered if you had not been willing to endure the bitter first.”

and another

None of us can accept all of what we may be offered in this life. Sometimes we must say no, even to love.


From the book “Golden,” a retelling of Rapunzel:

Can love happen in an instant, or can it only grow slowly, bolstered by the course of time? Is it possible that love might be both? A thing that takes forever to reach it’s true conclusion, made possible by what occurs in no more than the blink of an eye?

and later,

That is what love is, I thought. A possibility that becomes a choice. A choice you keep making, over and over. Day after day. Year after year. Time after time…

These books don’t take me very long to read, and last week it was good to have something to read that helped me feel calm and happy, even in the midst of uncertainty. So thank you, Cameron Dokey. I think I’m going to have to read your books aloud to my little girls now!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I was so confused for a minute! I thought I was reading Cindy Lynn's blog, and I thought, "How is this a recent discovery for you? You introduced me to Cameron Dokey through Goodreads quite a while ago." Ha ha ha ha. It wasn't until your next post {AFTER I'd seen the picture of you in the sweater, thinking you {meaning CL} must have lent it to your mom {meaning YOU}} and then you were talking about your kids Halloween costumes. LOL. Oh, dear.

    Anyway, I also love Cameron Dokey thanks to CL. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I bet the girls would love them! And Megan, I am laughing at your comment!

    ReplyDelete