Sunday, November 27, 2011

I ♥ Messages of Comfort

Count It All Joy

In general conference in October, Elder Scott gave a great talk on the scriptures. He said,

Our Father in Heaven understood that for us to make desired progress during our mortal probation, we would need to face difficult challenges. Some of these would be almost overpowering. He provided tools to help us be successful in our mortal probation. One set of those tools is the scriptures.

Throughout the ages, Father in Heaven has inspired select men and women to find, through the guidance of the Holy Ghost, solutions to life’s most perplexing problems. He has inspired those authorized servants to record those solutions as a type of handbook for those of His children who have faith in His plan of happiness and in His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ.

The scriptures…are always available when needed. Scriptures can calm an agitated soul, giving peace, hope, and a restoration of confidence in one’s ability to overcome the challenges of life.

I loved his talk then, and I loved it even more when I reread it last week and thought how true this has been in my life lately. From the first time I picked up my scriptures after finding out that Russ had been laid off, through every Sunday School class since then, and in every other possible way, I feel like Heavenly Father has guided me to scriptures of encouragement and comfort. I have written them down on index cards as I’ve found them; partially because the process of writing them down helps solidify them more in my brain, and partially so that I have them laying around to pick up and read again easily. Here are the verses that have been providing comfort to me recently, as well as a few quotes by general authorities.

But behold I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance. 1 Ne. 1:20

I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that
they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence.
Elder Bednar

Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say Rejoice. Be careful [unduly concerned] for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep [guard] your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippeans 4:4,6-7

Count it all joy when ye fall into [many afflictions];
knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have her perfect work,
that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
James 1:2-4

(or a rephrasing of that one from the NIV)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,
because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
Perseverance must finish it’s work so that you may be mature and compete,
not lacking anything. James 1:2-4 NIV

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you:
not as the world giveth, give I unto you.
Let not your heard be troubled, neither let it be afraid… John 14:27

Be faithful, God is in charge.
He knows your name and He knows your need.
Elder Holland

I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another, I say, if you should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants. And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments…if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you. Mosiah 2:21

No matter how serious the trial, how deep the distress, how great the affliction, [God] will never desert us. He never has, and He never will. He cannot do it. It is not His character. He is an unchangeable being; the same yesterday, the same today, and He will be the same throughout the eternal ages to come. We have found that God. We have made Him our friend, by obeying His gospel; and He will stand by us. We may pass through the fiery furnace; we may pass through deep waters; but we shall not be consumed nor overwhelmed. We shall emerge from all these trials and difficulties the better and purer for them, if we only trust in our God and keep His commandments." ~~George Q. Cannon

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth… 3 John 1:4
(Just a little reminder of the things that are of true importance.)

and my most recent favorite…

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these! I need this message in my life this week too.

    ReplyDelete