Thursday, November 10, 2011

I ♥ ♥ ♥ Thanksgiving Pie!

We rarely have pie, but for Thanksgiving we go all out. Last year I made 7 kinds of pie;

apple pie
crustless apple pie
apple cream pie
pumpkin pie
banana cream casserole
coconut cream pie
mini pumpkin pecan cheesecakes

and one storebought pie--
Razzleberry Pie

There were almost as many pies as people!

Here are my favorite pie recipes from last year--Enjoy!

~~~~~

Apple Cream Pie

Unbaked pie shell

2/3 c. sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c. sour cream
2 c. finely chopped apples
1/2 t. salt
2 T. flour
1 t. vanilla

Topping:
1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter

Bake pie shell for 5 minutes @ 350 degrees.

Combine first 6 ingredients, pour into pie shell. Combine topping ingredients, cut in butter and sprinkle over top. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes.


~~~~~

Marie Callender's Crust Recipe

1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. shortening
1 1/4 c. flour
1 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 egg yolk
2 T. ice water
1/2 t. vinegar

Cut the cold butter and cold shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture has a consistent texture. Mix egg yolk, ice water, and vinegar into the dough, then form into a ball and refrigerate it for 1 hr so that it will be easier to work with.

~~~~~

Marie Callender's Banana Cream Pie

2/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/2 t. salt
2 3/4 c. whole milk
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 T. butter
1 t. vanilla
2 ripe bananas, sliced

[Since home-ec in 7th grade I've made my pudding by "tempering" the eggs--beating the eggs separately, then adding the hot milk a little at a time to keep from making the eggs taste cooked. I was surprised to see that the Marie Callender directions didn't say to make it this way. I made one batch my way, and one their way, and they both worked fine. So--it's much less work to do it their way! As always, I made mine in a big glass bowl in the microwave instead of in a pot on the stove.]

Mix together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Blend the milk and eggs in a medium bowl, the add the mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk together. Cook, stirring (every 2-3 minutes if you're using the microwave) constantly for 6-8 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens, then cook 1 minute more.

Remove the pudding from the heat and add butter and vanilla. Put plastic wrap on the top of the pudding while it cools to room temperature. (The plastic wrap prevents the top of the pudding from becoming hard.) When pudding has cooled, slice bananas onto pie crust and spoon pudding on top.


PS...thanks a million to Megan who noticed that there was no "cream" ingredient in the apple cream pie--I'd forgotten the sour cream!

2 comments:

  1. So why is it called apple cream pie when there's no milk/cream in it?

    I'll have to try making pudding in the microwave. I LOVE homemade pudding, but I get so bored w/ stirring constantly at the stove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I was totally going to request the apple cream pie recipe if you hadn't posted it. I am intrigued.

    Do you like lemon? If so, you need to add sour cream lemon pie to your list. It's my absolute favorite. I can eat an entire pie by myself. :)

    ReplyDelete