Saturday, November 19, 2011

It gets worse before it gets better…

With the kitchen so totally and completely out of control for the last 3 days we’ve been eating in…(wait for it)…the dining room!  Which would sound totally normal, except for the fact that our dining room is set up as a school room and not for eating.  And is partially filled with stuff from the kitchen right now.  But hey, hungry beggers can’t be choosers.  So this is where we’ve been eating.

IMG_1834IMG_1836

After more sanding and more sanding and some spackling and more sanding and some priming and EVEN MORE SANDING and a quick escape to see Breaking Dawn with Clark, Amy, and Emmett, then I was back for the last sanding, wiping everything down, and the tedious hand painting.  (Inside edges of openings.)  Then it was time for the main event—the spraying.

At first it went HORRIBLY.  The paint sprayer really has a lot of pressure, and it was blowing my plastic all around and getting too much paint on the cabinets.  Fortunately after only doing one section Russ came down and when I told him I needed less pressure he obligingly told me that there was an adjustment and turned it down.  Hooray!  From that point things went quite a bit better, although I do think I got overspray on the floor near the oven.  But hey, I’ve pretty much decided we need to do a new floor too…

IMG_1841IMG_1839

If you think it looks insane, well, it feels insane.  Which is why I’m still awake.  I can’t spray a second coat until 4 hours after the first coat, and IT MUST BE FINISHED TONIGHT!!!  Not that I feel strongly or anything…

 

Just in case my working on the kitchen wasn’t enough fun for the day, we had a couple of other things going on.  First, the guy who inspected our furnaces the other day found that something (part of the well system) was leaking in the crawl space.  So Russ went under there and shut off the water for a while so he could replace the defective piece.  Then our favorite electrician came over to help us out.  When we bought the house there was a cooktop in the island and a built in oven that was so small it wouldn’t fit a cookie sheet.  We quickly determined that I would burn the house down because I couldn’t keep the island clean, so we did a little remodel in the back corner of the kitchen.  We took out the cook top and built in oven and put a regular stove/oven combo.  Over the years we have noticed that we could only use 3 of the burners if we turned the oven on—otherwise it would trip the breaker.  Then lately it would trip the breaker with two burners and the oven!  I decided that we needed that fixed before Thanksgiving.  The electrician started working to put in a heaver duty wire/breaker.  All of a sudden he said “I hear water—do you hear water?”  He had taken out a screw that was holding the outlet that Russ had installed, and realized that 10 years ago Russ had put that screw through a water pipe!  So for 10 years that screw has been in that pipe, and when it came out it was a very big leak.  Russ ran back under the house and shut the water off again, then ran to Lowes for supplies to fix it.  It was an exciting couple of minutes.

 

It’s almost time to go spray again, so I’ll say goodnight.  And whine that my body hurts.  Russ says he can’t imagine why…

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting tired just looking at the immensity of that project! It's going to look so good though. Can't wait to see it.
    And any time you need a movie break, just let us know! We are always up for it!

    ReplyDelete