Friday, November 18, 2011

I ♥ Book Club

[I feel a need to post again about something I love. Then later I will try to put up new pictures of my kitchen and the disaster it is today, I promise!]

Last night was book club. I missed book club last month because I felt pretty strongly that I shouldn’t abandon my poor husband for the entire night when he had just been laid off. But I missed it and the wonderful women who go, and last night you could not have kept me away.

First we had a great discussion of the book, which was “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.” This was an interesting book for me to be reading after finding out that Russ had been laid off. It definitely gave me perspective on what it is to be truly poor. I always enjoy hearing all of the different and ideas and insights that everyone has while reading the same book. Then, after a decent amount of discussion we drift into talking about whatever we want to.

Last night someone pointed out something—that our book club discussions, which are always lively, have never been about gossip, or husband bashing, or things that we go away from feeling somehow worse off than we were before. We talk about anything and everything; funny stories, frustrations, parenting questions, struggles, and gospel topics. Every time I leave I feel enriched with my association with these fine women. I feel supported, I feel my burdens lightened from the laughter, and I feel like I want to be a better woman.

What a blessing this is in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man... I am so jealous!!! My ward doesn't have a book club. :( I have been thinking about trying to start one, but feel kind of burned by my total failure in my last ward...

    ReplyDelete