Saturday, November 5, 2011

I ♥ reading about Joseph & Emma's descendents

I have a slightly bipolar relationship with Meridian Magazine. I think they do great work. I love some of their contributing authors. But when their magazine shows up in my inbox, day after day, I get a bit...overwhelmed.

Nevertheless, I have found things of great value there. One of my favorite is a series of articles that I happened to see over a couple of months. They were never linked together, but really should be. Three of the articles tell of the conversion of several of Joseph Smith's descendents. Did you know that Joseph and Emma's descendents weren't members of the church? I'd never thought about it, and was so surprised to realize that this work rolled on without them. It just about broke my heart to think about.

The other three articles are about a family reunion that was organized for the Joseph & Emma descendents and some interaction between the Brigham Young Family Association and the Smith descendents.

When Russ & the little kids and I went to the outer banks a few weeks ago I pulled all of these articles up on my computer and then read a few of them every now and then. The kids were so interested in learning about these people, and I felt again a renewed gratitude for the sacrifices that both Joseph and Emma made.

Here are the articles---

Missionary Moment: The Gracia Jones Story--Joseph Smith’s Great, Great  
Granddaughter

Missionary Moment: The Michael Kennedy Conversion Story (Third Great
Grandson of Joseph Smith)(This was quite humorous in parts. My kids are still
laughing that he thought Joseph Smith discovered Utah.

***Thousands of Hands Brought Joseph Smith’s Descendants Together***
(if you're only going to read this one, let it be this one. I couldn't read
parts of it outloud, it touched me too deeply.)

Missionary Moment - Emma: I was Too Tired to go West

Missionary Moment: The Healing Letter between Joseph’s and Brigham’s Descendants

Bridging a Rift of False Tradition: The Healing Letter between Joseph’s and
Brigham’s Descendants (this is a little long winded right at the end, but still
fascinating to read the rest.)

1 comment:

  1. Emma is one of my favorite people in Church history, because she seems both amazing and human. One of these days I need to read about her....I just wish there was a library for church books!

    ReplyDelete