Monday, March 30, 2009

Blast From the Past — My Favorite Picture

When we went to the Big Island in 2005 we snorkeled several times. We had a couple of underwater cameras that we took pictures with. They turned out about as well as underwater pictures can turn out.



One day we rented kayaks and kayaked across Kealakekua Bay to snorkel. (Pronounced Kee-a-lah-kay-ku-a.)



(thank you Katie for having the presence of mind to take pictures of the snorkel spot!)

Alisyn forgot to put sunscreen on her legs and got a bad sunburn, and Ken learned the hard way not to tow a boogie board behind his kayak. Other than that, the day was perfect. We snorkeled till we were cold, warmed up while we ate, and then snorkeled again. We took pictures of each couple with the underwater camera, and at some point had the idea that we really wanted a snorkel picture with all of us together. We picked out a snorkeler nearby and asked if he could take a picture of the six of us together. We sure picked the right guy--he was great! He dove way down, then rolled over on his back and took a picture of our group from underneath. We were amazed at his snorkel/picture taking ability. He dove again and took another picture because he wasn't sure he'd gotten everyone.

When the pictures came back I was both excited and disappointed.


The color was beautiful. The sunlight in the water was amazing. But neither picture had all 6 of us in it.

After I had wallowed in my disappointment for a while, I started thinking. I looked at the picures long enough to figure out who was who. I pulled them both into my photo editing program and started messing with them. I made one of them bigger. I made one of them lighter. I rotated and resized and cropped. And in the end, I had a picture with all 6 of us. It wasn't perfect, but it was really cool and sort of artsy.


I think this is my favorite picture of the trip. Partly because in this picture if I'm having a bad hair day or someone wasn't quite ready for the picture to be taken, you really can't tell. But also because it brings back all of the fun of the moment. The adventure of kayaking, being in the wonderful ocean looking at beautiful fish, and having fun together as friends.

This picture says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment