Saturday, March 28, 2009

Noteworthy News

I spent most of my week at the hospital with Jason, who had surgery. (I may blog about that later. If I do, I am required to tell you that under no circumstances are you allowed to talk to him about his surgery. Apparently he was scarred by one of my first blog posts, which might have mentioned something about him hanging around with the teen aged girls at our ward campout....)

I love it that hospitals now will let you onto their wireless networks. But for some reason UNC's network and my e-mail provider were not compatible. Every time I tried to send an e-mail it immediately bounced back to me as undeliverable. After the 5th or 6th returned e-mail I had the bright idea of trying to send from the earthlink webmail page, and sure enough, that worked. So any e-mail that got sent this week got sent via webmail, and I spent a lot more time on the webmail site than I normally do.

In my normal life the only news that I hear/see is what's on NPR in the car and the headline of the day from the New York Times, which comes to my e-mail. Having to use earthlink's webmail changed that pattern. Every time I logged onto the webmail page, there were the top national and international headlines. Every time I logged on I would scan them to see if anything interesting was happening in the nation/world. I am happy to be able to tell you that there were a few noteworthy things this week.

First, a story of intrigue and dishwashing detergent in Spokane.

Next, an article by an author who has obviously read the recent articles on trends in Swiss hiking and thinks that there is a valuable idea there for a country in a recession.

Lastly, a really funny video clip sent by a friend. (Be warned--there is a printed profanity in the video and also a mumbled one. )

Sunday Update: Here's another entry in the strange news category--an article on mercy killing of poisonous toads in the land down under.

What's the best news story you've seen lately???

3 comments:

  1. This has nothing to do with news, just an answer to your question... I got the blueberry bushes at Sam's club, a 4 pack for $15. Not a bad deal, but 1 died right away, so maybe they aren't the best quality, or maybe it's because my boys attacked it, I don't know. I have high hope for them though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... WHO ON EARTH wants to bike nude???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, moving to Utah in August definitely counts!!:)

    ReplyDelete