Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Pain of Reentry

If you don't mind, I am going to whine for a moment.

Whine, whine, whine,
Hawaii
,
whine, whine,
I wish I was snorkeling
,
whine, whine, whine, whine,
jet-lag
,
whine, whine, whine, whine, whine,
I'd rather be at the beach,
whine, whine, whine,
Cindy Lynn & Mahon left this afternoon
,
whine, whine,
loads of laundry,
whine, whine, whine,
exhausted
,
whine, whine,
house is a disaster,
whine, whine, whine, whine....


I really love traveling. I love the adventure involved. I love seeing new places and old places too. But invariably, in the time-line of a trip, there are 4 times I question my sanity.
  1. While packing to go. Particularly while packing to take all of my children anywhere. And while loading the car. Or making sure my suitcases aren't going to be anywhere between 1 and 20 pounds overweight.
  2. While packing to come home. Especially if we've promised to clean the beach house super good when we leave. Because packing out is enough to do me in, but adding a lot of cleaning on top of that puts me right over the top.
  3. When I see the mess that we've created in arriving home--that now needs to be washed, sorted, washed, put away, and probably washed again.
  4. Reentry.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the term "reentry," here's a wikipedia definition for you:
Atmospheric reentry refers to the movement of human-made or natural objects as they enter the atmosphere of a planet from outer space.
While I may not have left the atmosphere, I most certainly experience reentry every time I travel. The wikipedia article goes on to say:
Typically this process requires special methods to protect against aerodynamic heating. Various advanced technologies have been developed to enable atmospheric reentry and flight at extreme velocities.
It has become obvious to me, having experienced this 3 times in the last 5 weeks, that I am not sufficiently protected upon reentry. Obviously I need to find some advanced technologies that will protect me from the "aerodynamic heating" I'm now experiencing!

Right now I'm thinking that an 8:00pm bedtime might be the smartest thing I could do....
picture by Cindy Lynn

3 comments:

  1. If it wasn't already very close to 8:00 I would say it wasn't going to be early enough. I would say your kids are looking tired enough for 7!!! Now starts the whiney vacation you will need to get over your vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my gosh, your photographer is amazing!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh-- and I sooooo hear you in the whining.

    After the past 2 days, I actually think that my level of total body fatigue rivals coming back from hawaii. It is insane.

    ReplyDelete