Friday, March 27, 2009

The Adventurer in Me

Do you know what? I love adventures.

I didn't always understand this about myself. Most of the time I live a pretty unexciting life. I stay home, homeschool my kids, spend as little time as possible cleaning, hope I have time for a little sewing or scrapbooking or frame making or blogging. I'm very happy to be home.

On the other hand, I've always enjoyed traveling. BT (before triplets) the 3 older kids and I used to travel a lot. We'd go visit my parents, our cousins in Atlanta, our friends in Charleston, and my sisters in Utah.


Edisto Island, SC---- Cypress Gardens near Charleston, SC (our favorite place to look for alligators from a boat)---- excitement about late spring snow in Park City, UT.

When things started getting easier with the triplets one of the first things I was determined to reclaim about my old life was the traveling with just the kids. (I should explain here. My goal in traveling without Russ was not to be able to get away from him--just to be able to travel without being limited by his available vacation days.) First we took a day trip to the beach, and it went well.

A day trip to Surf City, NC. The kids' favorite thing about day trips to the beach is that they start with a quick stop at the grocery store where I buy lots of car treats and snacks for the beach that we wouldn't normally get.

Then we went to Atlanta for several days, and we all survived that.

Playing in the Chattahoochee River with cousin Sarah and Uncle Larry.

The final part of my plan to reclaim my life was a trip to Utah. But not just any trip to Utah. My plan was that with Cindy Lynn's help, the kids and I would drive to Utah (about 2500 miles) without Russ. I figured if we could manage that then we were ready for anything, even with triplets!

Behind the Nauvoo temple right before going to see the new Nauvoo pageant.

The trip to Utah was really a fantastic experience--so much so that we decided to do it again the next year.

But I still don't think I realized how much I enjoy adventure.

And then we took our trip to Hawaii in 2005. It was then that a new facet of my personality emerged. We like to call her "Julie, the Cruise Director."



Who knew I would like planning a vacation so much--but I really did. I read all of the relevant books, spent time on an internet message board finding out what activities were worth it and which were a waste of precious vacation time. We had a great trip filled with lots of fun.

For a couple of weeks after of the trip we discussed and analyzed what things had worked well (carry protein around for Cindy) and what things we would have done differently. (carry still more protein for Cindy!) It was interesting to realize how I felt about the different parts of the trip after all of the dust had settled. Sure, there were parts I would have done differently. I had never planned a big trip like that before, and I learned a lot.

What I ended up realizing was that I loved the adventure of it all. I loved going to new places, seeing exciting things, being surprised and amazed. When we went to Hawaii in 1998 with Russ's family, my most wonderful sister in law said that she just wanted to relax and sit on the beach for the week. I knew I didn't want to sit on the beach, but I assumed that was because I had never been to Hawaii before and she'd been there 3 or 4 times already. But the recent trip to Maui was my 2nd to Maui and my 4th to Hawaii, and I still didn't want to sit on the beach much. I wanted to snorkel, and hike, and go to interesting places to see interesting things. And then I wanted to do it all again the next day.

In the next few days I'm going to blog about more of our adventures in Maui. I hope you'll enjoy reading about them as much as we enjoyed living them!

9 comments:

  1. What fun memories you have & are making! I enjoyed seeing your photos of past adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the second half of this sounds like you were reading from my book of life! I have been going crazy with research for a trip for Jer and I when Addie is past a year old. I want to go to a place with a beach but I also want to experience where we go. It made me laugh out loud.
    I am so glad you had so much fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria--where are you planning to go! One thing I forgot to mention was that I think the planning is just as satisfying (and much less tiring!) as the trip itself!

    CL--that's why we had so much fun in Maui together. I've trained you well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I knew it before, because you have triplets and have been snorkeling, but you are officially WAY BRAVER than I am. I cringe at the thought of taking my girls to the grocery store. The furthest I took them was Charlotte to get Maria Snyder to sign my books. Today I took them to Raleigh to TK's Jungle and I'm dead tired! LOL So you are my new mommy hero!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have the same travel bug, although not as adventurous as you. I was actually a travel agent before I got married, which I did because I loved learning about exciting places to go, but I don't think I'll ever have the guts to take my kids on a trip without Sam. I'd go crazy and there is only 2 of them! You are a brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've totally inspired me! No more feeling tied down because of my poor husbands schedule! Though, how do you get over the guilt of leaving Russ behind?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy--I hate taking my kids to the grocery store. I really never ever do it if I can avoid it. And while they love going to Chuck E Cheese the only reason I take them is that I use it as our one major bribe of the year (for instance, if I want them to participate in the primary talent show) and then I sit and read while they play the games. They've always been very well behaved when traveling, though. I would buckle them in and toss crackers back at them and that worked pretty well. I'm not sure what the difference is, but maybe it's what's in it for me--a day trip to the beach is something I love. A trip to Krogers not so much...

    Natalie--like I told Amy my kids are usually really compliant when we travel together. If they were wild I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy it. One time when we just had the first 3 kids we took another friend with us on an afternoon trip to the beach. I didn't know that he had some kind of issue (maybe a sensory issue?) but he screamed and cried when I put sunscreen on him. It was miserable and made me realize how compliant my kids were. (With their own problems, I promise!)

    Lindsay--you know Russ--he's a good sport about our traveling. He really does have a hard time when we are gone for several weeks in Utah (especially since he got laid off twice while we were in Utah!) but he is realistic that the kids are never going to see their cousins if it's limited to the 10 days a year of vacation. I get over my guilt by being very very grateful for the things he makes it possible for us to do, and by being *very* nice to him before and after we go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy--I just remembered this. Once I was at a homeschool conference, and a very energetic woman was talking about some topic. In the course of her presentation she was talking about how one of her favorite things to do was shop with all of her kids. Seriously--the woman did all of her grocery shopping with all 6-7-8 kids, every time! *That* would kill me!

    ReplyDelete