Thursday, April 2, 2009

Either/Or

One of my big frustrations with life is the either/or. Either I can sleep in or I can exercise. But chances are I can't do both. Either I can clean or I can run errands. Either I can blog or I can sew. And for the last few days I have chosen sewing.

Several months ago I found myself in the fabric section of walmart, probably looking for something exciting like thread. As is my normal habit, I walked through the $1/yard fabric section to see if they had anything interesting. And they certainly did.

Of course it was wrapped tightly on the bolt, but I could tell that when it came off the bolt it would be lovely, and worth far more than the $1/yard I paid for it. In fact I wondered why on earth they would have 4-5 bolts of this lovely fabric for such a deal.

When I looked at it more closely I could tell. Every 2-3 feet there were a couple of rows of dots that were smeared. Nothing that I couldn't work around, though.

I also noticed that the underside of the fabric was really lovely as well. Too bad the dots showed through on most of it, but on one of the sides there was more than an inch with no dots. I started to think--if I could use this edge instead of ribbon it would match perfectly.

Then I wondered how that "ribbon" would look on the bottom of a dress...

Just in case you were wondering too, here's a picture of the bottom of the dress and the cummerbund that I made instead of a more traditional sash.



It was such fun. Although my other frustration would be the 80/20 law. You know, the one that says that the first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% of the project takes 80% of the time! And so it was with this dress! But I'd have to say that the end results are worth it!


What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. That is lovely! Good job working around the fabric imperfections and turning them into embellishments. Brings to mind Ether 12:27. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful dress and so inexpensive. $1/yard. I just finished the girls matching Easter dresses. I'm so proud. I'll put them up on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! When we're done with school, for my graduation gift (I deserve one right?) I want a sewing machine. Perhaps a few months before we leave, I'll hit you up for some sewing lessons. I want to be able to just whip something like this out!

    ReplyDelete