Saturday, April 18, 2009

Slow Burn


Russ & I are awesome together. Compatible, happy, content. That's how we've gotten through 22 years of marriage so well together. We're missing just one thing.

Neither of us has the maintenance gene.

I think that I might have a tiny bit of maintenance in me, but he (bless his sweet heart) lacks it completely. It must be the flip side of being so easy going, and most of the time it's ok with me.

Except in the garage.

Last fall I revamped the chores in our home. Our new strategery is going well, except that I forgot to reassign some odds & ends that had been the responsibility of the older boys before. In the old system, one boy had the weekly responsibility of straightening up the garage, and the other boy had to blow it out every week. It worked pretty well. And now we've gone about 6-7 months without that being done. This is a problem.

For the last month or two, every time I've walked in or out through the garage I've noticed how messy it was. It's gotten worse and worse and worse. I could feel the need to clean the garage starting to build in me last week, but I had to finish the Easter sewing and there was no time. This week was full of appointments and errands. But today was perfect. The perfect conjunction of beautiful spring weather (finally!) and my now undeniable need to clean the garage.

I put the little kids to work, promising "Park City bucks" towards a planned activity on our trip this summer. They started pulling things out of the garage, and Russ took pity on us and came to help.

I had to run an errand, and by the time I got back half of the garage was cleaned out. I started working again and swept out and organized the other half.

It was really hard, grungy dusty work. Lots of sneezing involved.

But oh, so worth it!


My lovely friend Katie issued a challenge on her blog yesterday--
describe the present day with at least one sentence using each of your five senses and you end up with a cool poem...
Here's mine:

I hear birds singing in
the spring green trees
Smell dust as I
push the broom through the garage.
The taste of spring cleaning is sweet.

3 comments:

  1. Nice work and nice poem! Great idea Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the homemade bike rack. I'll have to try that poem formula with my children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the homemade bike rack. I'll have to try that poem formula with my children. :)

    ReplyDelete