Friday, April 17, 2009

23 years and 4 months ago I walked into the boy's dorm next to mine at BYU on the first day after Christmas break and introduced myself to a quiet new boy who was watching Spanish TV.

23 years and 3 months ago the quiet new boy called me on the phone and asked me out on a date. I had no idea who he was (thank goodness for the BYU ward directories with pictures!) but as there had been a distinct famine in my dating land, I accepted anyway.

23 years ago the quiet new boy started asking me to marry him,

and 22 years ago today I did.

We have laughed for many years about our anniversaries. Our first anniversary was 4 months before Cindy Lynn was born & during my last week of finals at BYU. I was stressed.

Our second anniversary was spent with Cindy Lynn in the hospital, hoping that she wouldn't die. (She didn't.)

Our 6th anniversary I spent, after a lovely dinner, laying on the living room floor hoping not to vomit from extreme car-sickness.

I'm not sure we even remembered that we had an anniversary the year I was pregnant with the triplets.

Somehow, though, when the rest of the time together is so great it doesn't matter if that one day isn't perfect. Because so many other days are.

I had no idea that life could be this good.

Happy Anniversary Russ-- I love you!

10 comments:

  1. If I were there I would babysit for you guys to go do something fun!

    Oh wait... I already did that!

    Happy anniversary. Before too long you will be able to say that not only have you been married for 22 years, but your daughter has been married for 1! (Next week is 8 months for us.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures. Jared relly looks a lot like Russ in his younger years. Hope you guys have a very Happy Anniversary!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! I won't tell you what I was doing 22 years ago today! LOL What a great example you are of a fabulous marriage! 22 years is something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Good story....what a ride, huh??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! So I need to know the story behind the photo with you guys holding the triplets where you are dressed in normal clothes and Russ appears to be wearing a hospital gown. It really looks like HE just gave birth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking the same thing as Katie! :D You two are one of the sweetest couples I know. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the all of the great comments & happy wishes. We actually had a great day today--Russ worked from home and we had a lovely walk this morning, then we went to the temple (not that we usually do that on our anniversary--it was just time.) and then a fabulous dinner. So this goes down with the good anniversaries.

    Cindy Lynn--you are an awesome and amazing daughter and we will never be able to thank you enough for babysitting for us last month!

    Sharon--Jared and Jason both look a ton like Russ when he was younger. One of my aunts used to say that Jason looked like Russ just spit him right out of his mouth. I was like "I delivered that child without a bit of medication and I promise you that's not the way it happened."

    Amy, I know that we are very very old compared to you. You don't need to rub it in!

    Katie, when Russ & I visited the babies in the NICU and then the step-down nursery at Duke, he had to wear his hospital gown so that it tied in back. Because I needed to be able to access...um...important eqipment, I got to wear my gown tied in front. Or not tied, as the case might be.

    Megan--thanks for the lovely complement!

    ReplyDelete