Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lessons Learned at Saturday's Blood Drive


On Saturday as part of our Stake's Day of Service we had a blood drive. I haven't given blood in many years — I think I got used to being pregnant or nursing or overwhelmed by young triplets and stopped thinking about doing it. When my friend Katie told me recently how many units of blood products that she has used this year I was glad I had signed up to donate, and resolved to do it more often.

If that resolution is to become reality, there are a few lessons I must learn from Saturday's experience.
  • Blood must be kept cold. Dress for the Arctic, even if it is 90 degrees outside.
  • Drink lots of water. If you are slightly dehydrated your blood will be sludgy and won't want to leave your comfortable veins.
  • Drink lots of water. If your blood is sludgy they will take off the rubber tourniquet thingy and replace it with a fully inflated blood pressure cuff. Ouch!
  • Don't look. Repeat. Don't look. Even if the piece of gauze that they have placed over the needle in your arm falls off resist the urge to turn and look. That needle is huge so don't look!
  • Bring entertainment. Giving blood involves a lot of waiting. Waiting to answer questions, waiting to get seated in the special chair, waiting to get the needle in, and waiting on that sludgy blood.
The upside of donating blood? They have a table of total junk food, and you can sit there and eat all of the no bake cookies you want without feeling the least bit guilty. Because after you've donated blood, eating junk food is just what your body needs and therefore totally righteous!

P.S. In case you're wondering, no I did not donate blood in Canada. That was just the coolest "I Gave Blood" image I found on google...

6 comments:

  1. I love your postscript. I hadn't even noticed the Canadian label. :D You are a brave woman. Blood is something I selfishly keep to myself except when required for medical purposes (even then it is not given willingly). Good for you for going through with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck, the blood pressure cuff thing hurts. Although I dunno, depending on who ties your tourniquet, sometimes that is actually worse. (I got some baaaaad tourniquet-tiers in the hospital this time, the kind where it is biting into your poor tender flesh and leaves a red mark for an hour afterwards....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't do it. I just can't. Take my husband's blood, take my babies' chord blood- but I just can't give blood! Do you think if I bake lots of cookies for the brave people like you to eat that will make up for it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for donating. Both I and my mother have enjoyed more years than were other wise possible thanks to the donations of blood by good people like you. One of my brother's most cherished memories of my mother was her taking him baby clothes shopping three weeks before she died. She had just gotten a tranfusion the day before that enabled her to go shopping. So once again. Thank you.

    (I can't donate or I would)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot to add that if you are going to donate blood at the stake center make sure the Whitlocks aren't anywhere near you or you might be suckered into watching their kids. Why it took me two hours and you only a matter of minutes, I don't know. But thanks again for rescuing me.

    PS I always look, I find it fascinating and not nauseating in the least! I also think the gauze thing tickles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy--it was no problem at all--I totally enjoyed hanging out with Iris, and my kids loved playing with Abby. I just felt bad that you had to wait 2x a long as me!

    ReplyDelete