Monday, April 20, 2009

Our New Club

I love spring. I love to watch the progression of beautiful colors that leads up to the return of all of our lovely green foliage.

My little kids have a different reason for loving spring. And they watch and wait just as impatiently as I do for the first dogwood blossom to fully open. Except while I'm watching for beautiful blooms they're watching for

woolly caterpillars.

Yep, that's right. The most anticipated event of the spring is the sighting of the first caterpillar.

On Friday Russ & I took a nice walk together, and we saw one of the little creatures scooting along in the road. We were less than halfway into our walk, and so didn't even consider bringing the insect home to make the little kids' day. But we did tell them about it, thinking that it would bring them hope that any day now the trees around our house will produce a plethora of little woolly caterpillars.

Instead it whipped them into an impatient frenzy, complete with constant requests to go on another walk to get the caterpillar.

Saturday Russ (officially the coolest dad in the world) made little caterpillar cages. They were going to be screen on all sides, but Jared quickly expressed concern that if the bottom was also screen, the little caterpillar feet would get caught in the holes. And so the bottoms are solid board.

Today the kids were out playing on the screened porch and Jenna came in and asked us to hang up a sign.

I'm not exactly sure that a catupilr club does, but they had their cages out there, ate lunch out there, and according to Jared, got to say "I Object" if they disagreed with anything.

What more can you ask?

P.S. I know that everyone who has my blog in their updating list of blogs is really & truly grateful to have my last blog title out of your list. You're welcome. ;)

4 comments:

  1. My children's comment when I showed them the cages: "I wish our Dad was a carpenter", to which Eric said, "I can make a caterpillar cage!" Will they become the next must-have among the primary set?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! I never got a caterpillar cage. ;) That is so neat though. And I LOLed at the "I Object" part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun friends your children are to each other! And that IS a very cool Dad thing to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!! I am not showing Sam the cages. She will want one and David can't create those.

    We have a worm thing going on in our house. Sam is collecting worms and lots of them. I love spring.

    ReplyDelete