Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Forever Grateful




Jenna and I had appointments at the orthodontist this morning. Since the orthodontist is on the same side of town as Kohls, Walmart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Panera Bread we ran a lot of errands and had lunch together. It was a very long day for Jenna and she was a pretty good sport about it.

Towards the end of our errands she started fretting that even though she had gotten treats and had fun with me, she had missed out on whatever fun Rachel and Jared had been having while we were gone. I asked her if she ever wished that she was born by herself instead of being a triplet. She was quiet for a moment, and then said a long "Nooooo." And then added, "Once I did, when I was about 4. But not anymore."

When I found out I was pregnant with triplets I cried for a whole weekend. All I could see was the unraveling of my carefully controlled life. I felt like the embodiment of the expression "jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire" and I didn't want to experience the fire. After I was done crying I (of course) set to work researching triplets on the internet. I found a thriving triplet community online that provided enormous support to me while I was pregnant and in the first few years after my babies were born.

Without exception, the other parents of multiples all expressed the same sentiment — I wouldn't have it any other way.

I thought they were all insane.

But now, almost nine years later I stand with them. Awed to have been blessed with this miracle in my life...
I wouldn't have it any other way.

11 comments:

  1. Cindy you have such beautiful kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it interesting how some of our biggest challenges turn out to be some of the best parts of our lives???? If only we could see the "big picture"....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I'm laughing about the "once when I was about four years old..."

    So here's a question - would it have been harder to find out that you were having triplets, or another single child with CF?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a loaded question there CL. I think you know the answer, since we have triplets due to the fact that we were medically trying to have a child without CF. Finding out about triplets was hard a surprising because when the doc is giving you the statistics on having triplets, it is such a small number (less than 1%) and the chance of getting pregnant is less than 50%, that you just kiind of are praying for a pregnancy and expect that triplets is not part of the equation.

    The other part of it is that we had no idea what triplets would be like, so it opens a door to you where all you see is nothing. With CF, while we were trying to avoid it, we knew what that was like. We prayed it wouldn't happen again, but I think the scariness of it would not be there due to the fact that you taught us all about it.

    And now I'll stop since this isn't my blog and it looks like I'm making an entire post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Russ posted on someone else's blog besides mine. How rare!

    As Russ kind of already stated - I think for me finding out my child had a lifelong illness and finding out that I would need to start changing 3 times as many poopie diapers as I had before - I think they would both be difficukt but they are different difficults. Having children is all about making sacrafices. And though the individual challenges would be different, the big picture challenge would be the same - giving up yourself and your desires for the life or lives of those in more need than you. And in the end - the blessings are usually the same as well "He who will lose his life for my name (and the names of my children) shall find his life."

    At least that's how I think it works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also think it's sort of an exchange... that's what I've always assumed, anyway. Whereas the triplets are now mostly grown out of their "difficulty" as a result of being multiples and preemies, CF is still goin' strong in my life, much more of a presence than it was when I was a child. Triplets was probably harder in the beginning (though I don't know, I can't imagine what the first 2 years of my life must have been like for my parents - absolutely horrible), but it's not a lifetime thing.

    But like I said, that's just always been my assumption. As I am not actually my own parent, nor the parent of the triplets, I couldn't really say....

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Triplets might have grown out of this difficult part for your parents but I can only imagine what them hitting 16 and all wanting to borrow the car for dates is going to be like or what paying for college and missions will be like in the stress department at the Ray house. But with those stresses will come blessings.
    Like one eternal round - trials = blessings in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria--I am pretty partial to my kids--thanks!

    Mindy--I am constantly reminded of the example given by Elder Scott--that without proper perspective a tiny pebble looks like an enormous stone. I know that I lack proper perspective for sure!

    CL--I think in that moment it was harder to find out that I was having triplets, although I would have been very unhappy to find out it was a child with CF. But if it was cf I wouldn't have had to worry about the baby surviving the pregnancy, etc. I'm not sure--that's a pretty hard either/or! And I think Sean is right--the triplets are pretty excellent now, but I'm sure there are additional difficult times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I think it is cute how much they love each other and want to play together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second that last bit, completely and totally. The kids are awesome :D

    ReplyDelete