Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Design help desperately needed!

Generally when I go to the fabric store, regardless of what I'm there for, I have to do a quick survey of the fabric to see if there's something new. I always see plenty to like, because I am a true lover of fabric. It all speaks to me--colors, patterns, textures. But occasionally I see something that just calls out to me and says "take me to your house and make me into something wonderful."

Last year this was that fabric.

I knew it would never have time to sew it last year in the midst of the wedding madness, but I still bought it. It was going to be a pair of beautiful dresses for my beautiful little girls.

It had some coordinating fabric and I bought a bit of that too.

I prewashed the fabric, pulled out the pattern that I wanted to use for it, and put it in my sewing area.

This week I have been cleaning & organizing my sewing area. I'm sure it hadn't been vacuumed since well before Christmas, since I could see the threads from various projects all over the light colored carpet. As I pulled a box out from it's place to vacuum I saw the fabric again. I've already started pink polka-dotted Easter dresses for my girlies but what they really need are some dresses that are not so fancy. So I decided I should go ahead and make these too.

As I looked at the fabric I realized that I had a problem. In the intervening year the post-purchase euphoria has faded, and so has my inspiration for the fabric. I can no longer see the dress I want to make in my mind, and that's a problem.

So I'm asking you for your opinion--which dress do you think I should make? (And please excuse my imperfect attempts to make my little examples!) Or do you have a better idea? Please help me!

(if you click on the picture it will supersize if you want to see the different options better.)


And as per Amy's and Megan's excellent suggestions:

10 comments:

  1. I like option A the best. Abigail likes B. I love both of the fabrics. Part of me wants to see the dresses in a larger size, so as to really see the flower size on one of the girls. I think B would work if the bottom strip is not too wide. I hope that is vague enough for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, good comment Katie!! I like A...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you cross A and D?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. Definitely. Let the focus fabric steal the show and actually get to be the focus of the dresses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally vote for A w/ vertical sash (AKA "C w/o the bottom band"). I'm a big fan of vertical stripes, myself. :) Can't wait to see what you turn out; I'm sure it will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so flattered you liked my suggestion. :) I really like how it looks with the vertical sash!

    ReplyDelete