Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Unexpected Consequences

I have been watching all day to see when they would declare a final result on Prop 8 in CA. A few minutes ago KSL (in Utah) said that it is final--Prop 8 passed. There is something else in the article that is fascinating to me.

Exit polls for The Associated Press found that Proposition 8 received critical support from black voters who flocked to the polls to support Barack Obama for president. Blacks voted strongly in favor of the ban, while whites narrowly opposed it and Latinos and Asians were split.

I find that an interesting consequence. More African-American voters came out to vote--because they wanted an African-American president, or because they truly wanted the change they believed Obama was offering, or whatever. Whatever the reason, they were voting because of Obama. And they were the ones who were also voting in favor of prop 8.

I'm not telling you who I voted for. I have no desire to discuss my voting decision with anyone. (And apparently I am good at hiding my political leanings, as the people I have discussed politics with the most are each convinced that the other person has persuaded me to their side!)

But I know a lot of people who voted for McCain and were unhappy that Obama won. It makes me wonder--so here's a question for people who voted for McCain. If you could only have picked one of the outcomes you wanted (McCain or Prop 8), which would it be?

7 comments:

  1. Unfortunately my hope was that McCain would help uphold several moral issues in a better way than Obama will. So it is hard to pick prop 8, which is one of the many moral issues our country faces, or McCain, with the hopes of several being addressed and upheld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laila--CL pointed out that Bush is both anti-gay marriage and anti-abortion, but made little progress against either of those moral issues during his presidency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only made little progress, but during his presidency abortion remained exactly the same (as far as I know) and Massachusettes instituted gay marriage.

    Just something to think about

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prop 8!
    And Obama really can't do much in this arena either except in his appointment of Supreme court cases. Unfortunately these issues are state issues. Not to politicize your site...;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I meant Supreme Court Judges... obviously.

    ReplyDelete