Monday, November 3, 2008

Every Single Day

Last year I picked up Josh most days after school. As we drove home during the fall I would point out all of the beautiful trees to make sure he noticed them. (The habit of pointing out things of interest to a fussy toddler lives on.) Along one stretch of road I always noticed a particularly striking tree.

I would say something like "Oh look at that, Josh! It's beautiful!" After the first or second trip past the tree he would respond by saying something like "Mom, it looks just the same as it did yesterday", or "yeah, I've already seen that one." I knew he thought it was just one of those strange mom things that I had to comment about that tree every day.

But this is the thing. Life is full of enough hard stuff, and enough tedious stuff, and enough messy stuff. I want to really enjoy the beautiful parts. That's why I always ask the guy at the post office to see all of his stamps, so that I can choose some that are going to make me happy every time I put them on an envelope. (I tried to persuade Cindy Lynn to put Yoda stamps on her wedding announcements. I knew they would make everyone smile. But no.) That's why I buy pretty checks--I don't often write checks, but when I do I'm smiling. And that's why I rejoice every day when I drive by the same beautiful tree. Every single day.

1 comment: