Friday, November 21, 2008

I'm Thankful for....

I decided yesterday that I would celebrate the week leading up to Thanksgiving by posting about something I'm thankful for every day. Hopefully by Thursday I'll be completely marinated in gratitude for all of the bits and pieces of my wonderful life.

Today, for starters, I'm thankful for my wonderful book club. We met last night to discuss Jane Austen's "Persuasion," eat sugar-filled treats, and just hang out. Once again I came home way past bedtime, my mind filled with interesting thoughts, hilarious stories, and spiritual insights. Our conversation ranged from the ridiculous to the sublime and everywhere in between. And the addition of several adorable babies to hold made it that much better.

I'm thankful to have such a lovely group to meet with each month. To have wonderful books to read that enrich my life and add phrases like "I urge you earnestly" to my dreams. (Straight from the pages of Jane Austen, I promise you!) And to know such delightful women. I enjoy each one of them, and am always so sad when someone isn't able to come. Thanks gals, for adding so much happiness to my life!

3 comments:

  1. what book are you reading next? I love my book group too! What is your favorite book that your group read this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! You copycat! I WAS TOTALLY THINKING I'D DO THIS TODAY.

    But now I guess I won't. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Momster, here's our list for this year:
    A Grief Observed by CS Lewis
    Persuasion by Jane Austen
    Book of 1000 Days by Shannon Hale
    Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza
    Words that Hurt, Words that Heal by Joseph Telushkin
    Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith
    Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin
    Killer Angels by Michael Sharra
    Garlic & Sapphires by Ruth Reichl
    The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt
    These is My Words by Nancy Turner

    Last year I loved "The Ladies Auxiliary" and the discussion when we read Dr. Laura's "Proper Care and feeding of Husbands" was most interesting--whether or not you liked the book!

    Cindy Lynn, sorry to have stolen your idea. But you're more than welcome to share it with me!

    ReplyDelete