Monday, November 24, 2008

I'm Thankful for my Calling

(Quick explanation for anyone who might be reading who is not a Mormon. Our church has no paid ministry. We call our congregation a "ward," and each member of the congregation has a job, which we call a "calling." These callings change from time to time according to our needs, the needs of the organizations that we serve in, and the inspiration of our leaders.)

A little over 4 years ago I was asked to be the secretary of an organization at church. It was a bad moment. I am not a naturally organized person and I was very overwhelmed in my life. It seemed like a bad combination. But after crying for a while, I accepted the calling. A day later I was told that things had changed (someone was moving) and so I was asked to be the primary chorister instead. (In charge of music for the 3-12 year old children.) I was thrilled. This was one of my favorite jobs. I knew I would be good at it and that I would love it. It was a wonderful experience. After about 3 years as the primary chorister, though, I started to have little promptings that my time was almost over. I quickly forgot those feelings and kept singing.

And then one day it happened. I was called into an office by one of our leaders and told that it was time for my calling as primary chorister to end. I was devastated. I was right in the middle of teaching a beautiful song! I loved the children and they loved me! How could they do this to me?? I cried. (Before you think I always cry when I get callings, these really were the only two times in my life. And I was very embarrassed at my lack of control.)

It got worse. I was asked to be the new ward music chairperson--the person over all of the music callings in our congregation. All I could think was that no one cared about this calling, and that I was being taken from a job I loved and being given one that didn't even matter. But I was assured that this calling did matter, and that was why they were asking me to do it.

And so I began. Slowly, at first. I tried to figure out who in the ward could sing. I made a list of people who played instruments. I helped the choir director in every way I could. And then I started organizing special music for church.

The first thing I organized was a double quartet singing a hymn arrangement with a lovely accompaniment. You know what? It was really lovely. Fabulous, even. And I didn't have to make pictures to teach them the song, like I would have in primary. (Pictures never were my strength...) It was a terrific experience.

The next month we had a violin duet. At the last minute I realized that I was going to have to accompany the violins (on the piano) and that was stressful, but I survived and they were great.

A month later I started working on something else--this time a woman's solo of one of my favorite hymns, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" with piano, flute, and viola accompaniment. It was amazing. I knew that I would be out of town for the wedding on the Sunday that they would sing/play (I hate to use the word "perform" for what we do in church, you know) and so I started the practices sooner so that I would be able to hear the music and enjoy it before I left town. It still makes me smile to think about it, it was all so beautiful.

Shortly after I became the music chairperson our life got a little more hectic. Cindy Lynn started her series of what was eventually 3.5 hospitalizations in 6 months, she got engaged, we started planning a wedding, and I started sewing. I was a bit chagrined to realized after a few months that I was relieved to not have to spend so much time preparing every week to do the music in primary. I realized that I was grateful for the opportunity to go to Sunday School and Relief Society again and listen to the lessons. It was definitely what I needed in that moment.

I have also realized that my new calling does matter. I may not have three and four year olds running up to me every Sunday to give me sticky hugs and call me teacher and tell me that they love me. (Ok, some of them still do!) But this is giving me a chance to learn new things about church music. A chance to learn to work with other adults better. And a chance to add to our worship of the Savior through special music.

Someone moved into our ward about 18 months ago, and after a few months asked me, "aren't there every any special musical numbers in this ward?" I told her that no, we hadn't really had any for a long time, and that that was a shame. I think I'm getting a chance to put my money where my mouth was.

Right now I'm working on a woman's arrangement of "With Wondering Awe" for our women's Enrichment night in December, and another double quartet for church in a few weeks. I'm really excited about them both--I think they will add so much to our celebration of Christ's birth.

You know what? This really is a great calling. Now if I could just find a great duet for two women...I think I have exactly the right combination in mind...

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you are fabulous, and a blessing to your ward.

    But my kids STILL talk about the nice music lady that was Cindy Lynn's mom. And they made me make a beanbag soup can thingie two weeks after we moved. So you definitely made a difference :)

    Rutter's All Things Bright and Beautiful . . . only it's a trio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--I am *SO* into Rutter right now. We're singing his "Angel's Carol" for Christmas, and so I've been listening to different versions. And then I branched out to different pieces--such fun. But I haven't heard that one yet--I'll go check it out!

    Your boys are so sweet. I loved being the music lady! And that can game was the best dorky looking game ever!

    ReplyDelete