Monday, November 3, 2008

This one must be related to me.

When I was in 2nd grade we did some dumb kind of math. Each student would get a card from a box, and it would have a bunch of problems on it. When you finished the card you would turn it over to check your answers. Then, if math still wasn't over, you would go and get another card. For those who did math quickly it seemed like punishment. "Finished? Great--then do some more math!" And so I did what any book lover would do. I left the math sitting on my desk, and surreptitiously opened a book beneath my desk, and happily read. Until I was caught.

This is what happened today in the school room:

Jenna was doing some school on the computer, but she was impatient with the time it took to load each section. (I can't imagine where she got that from!) So she went and got her book--her very first chapter book!--and read while the program was loading. That's my girl!

5 comments:

  1. This seriously just warms my heart. Man! She's like a little me!

    By the way... I have totally converted Mahon to reading in the bathroom (which, back when we first started hanging out, he thought was the craziest idea ever). And the other day when we were going to carve pumpkins at his parents house and I said "one sec, let me grab my book" he said "okay hang on I'll grab MY book!"

    It's pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may not be appropriate, but I was talking with my bishop about my addiction on Sunday and we were talking about how study the scriptures will break an addiction faster than studying about the addiction will break the addiction.
    Anyway - I told him that I was done reading about my particular addiction and have converted to just reading one of two books. He asked me "How often do you read?" my response was "Any time I have to go to the bathroom." He laughed and then said that that was a good answer. The only problem I have - I'm often done with the bathroom before I'm ready to be done with the book. I need to find some other reading time in my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Sean! Yes, the bathroom is a good starting place. But you definitely need more time than that...

    Cindy Lynn--good job converting Mahon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame I don't have any more time than that. Though as the days get shorter, time spent at the other job is getting shorter too. So I may have winter reading time coming my way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure--swap out some post holes for reading. ;)

    ReplyDelete