Sunday, November 16, 2008

Reading Adventures

The little kids and I started a new read-aloud book tonight. I picked a very old book called "Swallows and Amazons" that I remember enjoying when Cindy Lynn was younger. It is the story of 4 young siblings who sail to an uninhabited island in the lake district of England and spend their vacation camping there. I thought that it would be a fun to read about their adventures.

And so we started reading. First we met Roger, who is no longer the youngest in the family thanks to a baby called "fat Vicky." (Truly.) Then we met John, the oldest brother, and Susan, the older sister. And finally, the sister just older than Roger. Her name? Funny you should ask. Because her name is Titty. Yep. Apparently in 1930's England there were girls named Titty.

I'm hoping that I can read all 351 pages without losing my voice, and without forgetting to substitute "Betty" for "Titty."

Wish me luck.

8 comments:

  1. I think the next time there is a thread on my message board about girls names I'm going to say Nate and I have thought about naming our next daughter Titty! LOL

    We are reading Charlotte's Web. And it will probably surprise you that I've never read it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... I had obviously forgotten that part!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But don't forget - there were also girls named Fanny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what will you do if one of your children picks up the book and starts reading it only to discover that mom has lied about the name? ...or do you keep it on a high shelf so it can only be ready by mom? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, back then, no one would have thought twice if Titty and Fanny said they were having a gay old time together...

    SAD that society has made the gutter so close to our heads that it's pretty impossible to keep them separate for very long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fanny and Titty...is it safe to assume that those 1930's Brits were a tad bit sexist?! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was still serving in the YW's I had my sister write a story for one of my lessons. She named a character Mrs. Panniewannie. I didn't catch it until I was already reading it for all the YW! By then I couldn't edit it and they all laughed every time I said it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that I will keep the book up high. But just in case someone notices the substitution, I should figure out my story now.

    I do wonder how such nicknames came about--and if they had any sexist connotations at all or if they were completely innocent.

    Natalie, perhaps her name is Titty Panniewannie! That is a hoot that your sister did that to you!

    ReplyDelete