Monday, October 13, 2008

Tooth Fairy Woes


I know that in everyone else's house when a tooth falls out the tooth fairy kicks into high gear and a small fortune in change ends up under the lucky loser's pillow.

Not so in our house.

I can still remember the first time this happened--it was probably the 2nd or 3rd tooth that Cindy Lynn lost. She came into the kitchen the next morning looking devestated. "Mommy, the tooth fairy didn't come!" All I could think was there it was--I had ruined her life already and she was only 5! Fortunately I was on the phone with my wise mom, who suggested that I have Cindy Lynn look on the windowsill. And sure enough, the tooth fairy had obviously missed the bed and left her pile of coins on the window sill.

Here we are....15 years and approximately 80 lost teeth later. You'd think I would have the hang of it by now. But no. If anything, it's getting worse. The tooth fairy has been known to leave money under mom or dad's pillow, under the bed, on the dresser, on the headboard, and many other places. She is nothing if not creative.

(A small aside here--last time Rachel lost a tooth there was also, shall we say, some question of whether or not the tooth fairy had visited. I snuck into her room and put a stack of coins on post of her headboard, but she didn't see it. Later she had to take a nap in her room, and after naptime she saw the money. She came running downstairs yelling "Mommy, the tooth fairy is invisible! She came into my room and I never even saw her!")

In my defense, here's a little rundown of my day after the tooth in question was pulled out yesterday morning:
  • got ready for church
  • laid out clothes for kids for church
  • fixed little girl hair
  • drove 23 miles to the stake center
  • listened to stake conference for 2 hours
  • drove 23 miles home from stake center
  • did my little bit to help Russ prepare Mexican feast
  • cleaned kitchen
  • fed my 7 plus 11 visitors
  • provided charming conversation for guests ;)
  • watched everyone eat lucious brownies and ice cream
  • played a rousing round of the Bean game
  • sent visitors home
  • sent kids to bed
  • watched tv with the cook for a while
  • collapsed into bed
I ask you--where in there was I supposed to remember the tooth fairy???

5 comments:

  1. I bear testimony to the ditziness of our tooth fairy! (No offense.) I still remember that first windowsill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't gotten there yet, but prob any day now I'll run into that dilemma. The tooth fairy in our neighborhood almost never has cash on hand, so she's going to need some advance warning! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might convince Abby that she has to pay the tooth fairy to take her tooth. What's fair, $1, $5? She's doing chores and earning money... I bet it wouldn't be too hard to convince her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always held on to my teeth for a while hoping to get interest. If the tooth was worth 50 cents on Monday, surely it must be worth 50 cents plus 5 cents interest by Ssaturday. Drove the tooth fairy insane that I would do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Sean--I think I'm going to go with Amy's plan in the future!

    ReplyDelete