Monday, October 6, 2008

A Long Time Coming (part 1)

For a person who's normally all about feelings, I was much too busy for a lot of 2008 to have any feelings. (Or at least very many feelings.) I think the constant state of busy kept me very distracted most of the time and didn't leave me with time to think, much less figure out how I felt. And, in my defense, having never had a daughter get married before made it hard for me to even predict how I might feel about it.

So to all those who have asked me how I feel about Cindy Lynn getting/being married, I finally have an answer.

I am delighted.


I've thought a lot in the past few months about my life with Russ. After a super long engagement, being married was just happiness. Twenty-one and a half years later, I still love being married to him. I won't bore you (or gross you out!) with the details, but he is without a doubt the best thing that ever happened to me.

I am delighted for my daughter to have found someone who will bring this kind of happiness into her life. Someone that she loves to be with, who makes her happy, who she wants to take care of and will take care of her. What more could a mom want?

Let's just hope that he realizes that he'll be sharing her with us for the rest of his life. Starting in February. ;)

11 comments:

  1. Good to know! And AMEN to the engagement/marriage thing. I've decided marriage is the reward you get for living through an engagement!!!! (and I know mine was 4 months shorter than yours but the long-distance thing was pretty horrific.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - makes me wonder what kinds of emotions my mom went through when I got married. Maybe I should ask her. :) She's 6 years removed from it now, so I suppose she'll be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that is the one "nice" thing about no longer having a mommy. I won't have to put her through the stress of an engagement. I guess that means I'll need to make the engagement twice as exciting for my bride's mom right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I am glad to know that you really are delighted about me getting married. Sometimes I wondered!!!

    And Sean, there were literally times I thought my mom might never be able to forgive me for having a wedding. Stressful doesn't even BEGIN to describe it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CB: Do you think your stressful wedding came from the fact that your future spouse was in a time zone 2 hours earlier than yours (i.e. Do you think the wedding was more stressful because of the long distance) or do you think the wedding was tressful because of the CF (i.e. you being in the hospital so much made it difficult to go flower shopping), or do you think the wedding was just stressful because Mormon weddings are aleways stressful (i.e. we do in three months what took my co-worker two years to plan)??

    ReplyDelete
  6. What does it mean "Starting in February?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is SUCH a good picture of Cindy Lynn. And she seems so happy...it's making me relive my first few months of marriage each time I read her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy Lynn--like I said, it's taken me a while to sort out all of my feelings.

    Sean--there is no "nice" thing about not having a mom. My mom (whom Cindy Lynn is named after) died when I was 30. It's been over 10 years and it's still yucky.

    As far as the stress involved, I'd say yes to all of the above. I had fantasies that being organized enough would mean we could do it without stress, but it just didn't work that way. And I'm not sure why.

    Laila, Russ & I are going to Hawaii in February. And CL is coming to babysit. And then staying to hang out for a while afterwards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother died when I was 24, just over 5 years ago. I was engaged at the time. Not having a mom is yucky, you're right, but as hard as my mom's life was, I'm glad I didn't add to it with a stressful wedding. (That's not going to sound right when you read that because it sounds like Cindy B was adding so much to you, and dissing Cindy B is not my intent in writing that. My mom just had a hard life and I'm happy for her that some things weren't there to stress her out.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sean--I can see what you're saying, and that's really sweet of you. I am pretty sure that your mom would have taken some more hard & stressful to have more time with you, though...

    ReplyDelete