Thursday, October 16, 2008

Duke Gardens

Monday the little kids & I spent a couple of hours at Duke Gardens.





They were excited to feed the ducks, and I was excited (now that I am addicted) to check out their rose garden.




I was worried that because we didn't go until the afternoon the ducks would be full for the day, but we were in luck. They gobbled up our loaf of bread in no time at all. The kids were especially thrilled

to see several turtles swimming around looking for bread crumbs. They promptly christened one of them "Tortil-la the 2nd" and competed to see who could throw it the most pieces of bread.

We had an exciting moment when Rachel snuck up on a heron. It was sitting quietly in the shade...until she got too close.
It gave a startling squawk and flew off to safety.


It's been a little cooler in Durham recently, so I didn't expect that the day would be so HOT! While the kids fed the ducks I took pictures from the shady side of nearby trees. The only time I willingly stood in the sun was to take rose pictures. Art before comfort, you know!


While I took pictures of the roses my normally cooperative kids were hot and whiney. Fortunately for them I had to hurry so that we could pick up Jason from swimming. I still got some great shots.




I've definitely learned that bringing kids along is a good way to keep from taking too many rose pictures!




2 comments:

  1. MONDAY IT SNOWED HERE.

    (nice pictures though.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were great pictures and you're good at those crazy rose pictures !:)I love the one of the kids looking at you hugging...

    ReplyDelete