Sunday, October 26, 2008

Living in the Moment


Once I realized that summer was truly over and stopped whining about it, I started watching for more signs of autumn.

This time last year we were in the middle of a terrible drought. A horrific drought. A really scary drought for people with 6 kids and a well. We had almost no rain for the whole of 2007 leading into the fall. And the colors last fall were as vivid and beautiful as I've ever seen.

This year the weather has fortunately been different. We had a wet spring and a wet summer, and have had a couple of good rainy days this fall. So I wondered--would all of the rain make the colors different? If a dry year made beautiful leaves, was a wet year going to make the leaves more muted? Would the leaves be as beautiful this year?

Yesterday I realized something. I realized that the only attention I have paid to the changes of autumn as they've been happening has been to compare them to last year. Because of my preoccupation with that comparison, I have not even noticed what is happening around me.

Regardless of whether or not the leaves are as bright or as brilliant as last year, there are beautiful changes happening all around me every day. If I focus entirely on the comparison, longing for what was to happen again, I will miss the beauty that is today.

And that would be a shame.

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about this all day. I am stinking at this right now. I just want to be in North Carolina with the forests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I'm sure there's something to appreciate there...just not sure what! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can appreciate the changes in the fields from brown to...um....brown. Or from brown fields to just dirt fields. Or from brown to white (snow).

    BTW, hope you are enjoying the cold. I threatened mom that we would have to move back to ID so she could remember what cold really was.

    ReplyDelete