Friday, October 17, 2008

Careful Creation


For our book club this month we are reading CS Lewis's "A Grief Observed." After his wife died, Lewis kept this journal of his thoughts and feelings. Much of it deals with his working through his feelings about who God really is, if He allows this kind of pain and hurt to happen in peoples' lives. For a few pages he considers the idea that maybe God is not, after all, good. That perhaps he is toying with us or unconcerned or even malicious. Later he says,

But the picture I was building up last night [of a cruel God]... however magnified, couldn't invent or create or govern anything...He'd never have thought of...love, or laughter, or daffodils, or a frosty sunset. He make a universe??

When I go to the beach I am always more aware of God's creations. In Hawaii--watching the waves crash, or especially while snorkeling and looking at the amazing underwater world--I am awed. As I've taken hundreds of rose pictures in the past few weeks one of the feelings that has surfaced is a sense of amazement at the detail and beauty involved in the creation. When I see roses from my car window I might think that they are pretty. When I look at them up close through my camera lens, and then later on my computer screen, I am filled with wonder at their intricacy--and with gratitude to their creator.

2 comments: