Friday, December 30, 2011

Lost in the Language

 

Last week while I was sewing, after I’d watched “Miracle on 34th Street” and “It’s a Wonderful Life,” I watched “You’ve Got Mail.”  At one point in the movie the heroine is telling how she feels about the book “Pride and Prejudice:”

I've read Pride and Prejudice about 200 times.
I get lost in the language--words like thither, mischance, Felicity.

I thought as I listened—that’s how I feel about the language in “The Lord of the Rings.”  As we’ve watched yesterday and today I’ve loved the richness of the words…spare and sumptuous at the same time.

 

It is but a shadow and a thought that you love. I cannot give you what you seek. I have wished you joy since first I saw you…

Where now are the horse and the rider?  Where is the horn that was blowing?  They have passed like rain on the mountain and wind through the meadow…

We cannot defeat the armies of Mordor.  No, we cannot.  But we will meet them in battle nonetheless…

I would have you smile again, not grieve for those whose time has come.

Arise! Arise, Riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken! Shields shall be splintered! A sword day! A red day! Ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin, and the world's ending!

"I will not say do not weep; for not all tears are evil.

 

And there are more than a few funny one-liners as well:

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

I do not doubt his heart, just the reach of his arms

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

 

Now I will go and watch the end of Return of the Kings.  And try to figure out where in my life I could find the time to reread these books.  Here’s the line I’m most looking forward to from the end:

 

...a day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY...

PS—Here is our group watching, and then the disaster that is the aftermath of an entire day of movie watching!!

IMG_2044IMG_9761

1 comment: