Thursday, December 1, 2011

I ♥ Autumn (part 3)

One of our traditions is a fall hike. For many years we’ve gone to the Eno where the swinging bridge is, and a couple of times we’ve hiked along the Eno by the Guess bridge. This year everyone was so busy that all of a sudden it was November and we still hadn’t taken our hike. I was pretty sure that the leaves would be off of all of the trees in our usual spots, so I persuaded (begged) everyone to hike with me in Duke Forest one Sunday afternoon.

I was really excited to know that the hike was a 3 mile loop, so that once we were started we were essentially committed to the whole thing…

There were a few minutes at the beginning of the hike that we questioned our choice of location. At the beginning of the trail there were periodic sewer access pipes. All I can say is NASTY! But once we were past those and our noses had recovered, it was lovely.

IMG_1930

We walked and talked and enjoyed the mild weather. In fact after a while we wished we weren’t dressed quite so warmly!

IMG_1924

And of course the company was as good as the scenery.

IMG_1925_cropped

The kids were excited when we came upon a big (non-stinky) sewer pipe supported by brick columns. Rachel the adventuress immediately wanted to walk on it. I could understand her desire; I spent months of courtship & engagement taking walks with Russ, walking on every low wall, curb, or (as Russ puts it) anything that was above where he was. (Not that I felt a need to be higher than him, just that I loved walking on things!) Anyway, I told her it was ok with me if she walked on the pipe. And I hoped that she would be steady and not fall and break something and need to be carried a mile and a half out to the car!

Image11132011163408

There were several of these pipes, and at the second one Jared decided that he needed to try it too. By the last Jenna, much more timid, decided that she wanted to try it as well. It made me happy to watch them. And happy that no one fell…

Image11132011163205

It was a delightful way to spend an afternoon—thanks friends & family for going with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment