Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Errand of Angels

Many years ago Russ and I spent a very stressful morning at the hospital in Provo, waiting to see if our then 6 month old baby had a fatal genetic disease. By the end of the morning we knew that she did have cystic fibrosis, and thanks to the outdated information at the nearby public library we were scared nearly to death.

As we drove back to our apartment that day I realized that my visiting teachers had made an appointment to come and see me later that afternoon. Because this was in a day before cell phones and instant communication I couldn't call them right then and tell them that it wasn't a good day to come. I can't remember everything that happened that day, but I do remember clearly that they showed up at our apartment, listened lovingly to all of my stress and grief, and that the bishop showed up on our doorstep within a few hours to see if we were ok.

I've often thought of that day; that my initial response was that I should tell them not to come because we were in this terrible moment, and that their visit turned out to be exactly what I/we needed.


Yesterday morning Russ got an email from the recruiter in Arizona telling him that because he lacks some specific kinds of experience they are not going to invite him to come to Arizona for further interviews. As much as we want the right thing to happen and trust that it will, this was crushing.

In the back of my mind was the awareness that my visiting teachers were scheduled to come and see me before lunch, and the thought that it really wasn't a good day for them to come. I got busy cleaning out the refrigerator (because every crisis is more endurable if the fridge is at least clean) and forgot to call and reschedule, and they turned up right on time. As I cut everyone slices of bread fresh from the oven and spread them with butter and honey, I told them what had happened. I felt a little bad that I was so emotional, but they listened and cried with me. Then we talked about how sometimes it is really hard to wait and see what Heavenly Father's plan is. By the time my visiting teachers left I felt loved, supported, and uplifted.

Which is exactly as it was meant to happen, I'd imagine.

Also interesting was that our home teachers were scheduled to come that evening, with a message from President Eyring reminding us that we are commanded to be grateful in all things, even in our trials. I loved this quote:
We must ask in prayer that God, by the power of the Holy Ghost, will help us see our blessings clearly even in the midst of our trials. He can help us by the power of the Spirit to recognize and be grateful for blessings we take for granted.

I have always felt like visiting teaching is an inspired church program, but typically I think of it as inspired in a more general way. Yesterday I was reminded that sometimes that inspiration happens in a precise and specific way--yet another reminder that the Lord is watching over and caring for our family.


PS-- I am listening to a new song this week. You can see a live acoustic version of it here, or a studio version with no visuals here.

...my whole world is caving in
But I feel you now more than I did then
How can I come to the end of me
But somehow still have all I need?

God I want to know you more
Maybe this is how it starts
I find you when I fall apart...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Cindy. I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm crying with you now, too! What a disappointment. I'm so glad you had people there when you needed it. Sending many thoughts and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life...and, it's crazy ups and downs! I'm sorry about the job...but, glad you guys aren't going, at least for now! We'll keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete